Many thanks to Lynn Terpstra and Timothy Rice some of our many supporters.

Super Bowl XLVIII: It's in New Jersey

NOT New York. Trust me on this.
NJ's Metlife Stadium, with the NYC skyline in the background.

NJ's Metlife Stadium, with the NYC skyline in the background. Anthony Quintano/Flickr

I can’t stand it any longer.

I’ve been sitting by these last few days, reading and listening and not so silently (just ask my co-workers) fuming as the media goes on and on about Super Bowl XLVIII in New York. But this headline from Saturday’s Tacoma News Tribune pushed me over the edge: “If New York can host Super Bowl, why not Seattle?”

Attention TNT staff writer Craig Hill, TNT editors and all my fellow print and broadcast journalists: MetLife Stadium, where the Hawks face the Broncos in next Sunday’s Super Bowl, is in East Rutherford, New Jersey. NEW JERSEY. (Which, ironically, the subhed on Hill’s TNT story accurately noted. Go figure.)

So, yes, despite my very long tenure in the Pacific Northwest, I was born and raised in Jersey and am state-riotic to the end. I’m also a stickler for accuracy. Maybe my colleagues who insist on talking about the “New York” Super Bowl slept through high school geography. Maybe they can’t bring themselves to associate New Jersey with anything "Super." (Though c’mon: Springsteen? Sinatra? Streep? The Shore?) Maybe they don’t actually know where MetLife Stadium is.

I grew up 5 miles south of the Met, which we used to call (and still do) Giants Stadium and which my brothers, many years ago, fondly nicknamed the “Odor Bowl,” owing to the fact that it was built in the New Jersey Meadowlands, a once vast and glorious salt marsh that in my youth became a vast and fragrant dumping ground for garbage – and the occasional snitch. Be that as it may, I can assure you that MetLife Stadium is in New Jersey. Not New York.

Just look at this map. That wide blue river on the right? The Hudson. To the right (or east) of the Hudson? New York. To the left (or west of the Hudson): Jersey. That red balloon with the A in it marks the East Rutherford home of the Meadowlands Sports Complex, MetLife Stadium and the 2014 Super Bowl between our Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos. Definitely in Jersey. (Thank you Google maps.) And both teams are staying nearby in Jersey City.

It’s perfectly acceptable for the media and everyone else to situate next Sunday’s Super Bowl in the “New York metropolitan area,” or “near” New York City. Which it surely is. But let’s give Jersey and geography their due. After all, we’d hardly call an NFL Championship in Spokane the Montana Super Bowl.

I will leave you with these thoughts posted by my cousin Nancy to her Facebook page on January 19. Nancy lives in Cedar Grove, which is just a few miles west of MetLife Stadium. In New Jersey.

“Would someone please give these nitwit broadcasters a geography lesson," wrote Nancy. "The Super Bowl is not in NYC. Last I checked the stadium is still in NJ.”

Amen, cuz.

Mary Bruno is the Editor-in-Chief of Crosscut.

Comments:

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 3:30 p.m. Inappropriate

Feel better now? ;)

nwsrdr

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 3:49 p.m. Inappropriate

Much better. Thanks.

MB

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 4:16 p.m. Inappropriate

Nothing made me angrier than seeing the New York Post blaring "Broadway Bound" and the Daily News trumpeting "New York, Here They Come!" as headlines last week.

Mary, thanks for saying what all of us New Jersey-ites have been screaming about since we heard that the game was coming to the "New York area" five years ago: Its a Jersey thing!

corlando

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 5:22 p.m. Inappropriate

Uncle Floyd told me you might like this!

Oh the factory smoke will make you choke
Deep in the heart of Jersey...
But its my state, I think its great
Deep in the heart of Jersey

costello

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 6:30 p.m. Inappropriate

I'm singing along, Uncle Floyd!

MB

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 6:32 p.m. Inappropriate

My sportswriter brother (in Cranford, NJ) told me that all his sportswriter buddies are fuming about the "Broadway Bound" thing, corlando. But I think the media is taking note. Thbere was a story tonight on the CBS Evening News about the Jersey backlash to all the "New York" branding.

MB

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 8:15 p.m. Inappropriate

The Super Bowl is in a suburb of New York that just happens to be in a different state. Only in America are suburbs viewed as separate entities.

As somebody who grew up in Wales with parents whose American friends commonly sent letters to "Wales, England" to the chagrin of our postman, I don't feel like this is much of a mistake.

WSDW

Posted Sun, Jan 26, 10:19 p.m. Inappropriate

Mary Bruno's cri de coeur (look it up, Jerseyites) on behalf of her natal state failed to mention a hugely relevant landmark for football fans not far from the Super Bowl stadium -- the Vince Lombardi Rest Stop on the New Jersey Turnpike.

Inscribing your name on off-ramp signs on the Jersey Turnpike, and over the door of nondescript buildings where fatigued drivers stop to relieve themselves, grab a cup of stale coffee, and gas their vehicles, is the way New Jersey honors its greatest heroes. Thomas Edison, Walt Whitman, Clara Barton and Joyce Kilmer, the poet who wrote "Trees", are among the handful of Jersey citizens honored with their personal rest stops. Or as the turnpike high command prefers to call them: Service Plazas.

Wait a minute! Vince Lombardi has a Jersey connection? Everyone knows he made his bones in far away Green Bay, Wisconsin, as coach of the Packers. He also coached the Washington Redskins and the (ahem) New York Giants. On top of this, Lombardi was born in Brooklyn and played football at Fordham University in the Bronx, both of which were east of the Hudson River the last time I looked.

But the always clever New Jersey Commission on Turnpike Rest Stop Names seized on an eight-year slice of Lombardi's young life -- his first job as a football coach, at St. Cecilia High School in Englewood. Lombardi did so well at St. Cecilia that he was named President of the Bergen County Coach's Association. After that, being honored with a Turnpike rest stop was a mere formality.

In the Meadowlands on Sunday, devotees of the great coach will watch the Super Bowl victorious Seahawks raise the Lombardi trophy. Then they can drive a few miles north, pull off the turnpike, and unwind in his or her own fashion at the Vince Lombardi Service Plaza. That's a twofer any New Jersey citizen will be proud to claim.

Posted Mon, Jan 27, 6:32 a.m. Inappropriate

It's in the New York area. Like anywhere else, the whole area is named after the central city. So we say it's in New York.

If Lake Washington was a state line, and there was a big event in Bellevue, it would still be Seattle from the world's perspective.

mhays

Posted Mon, Jan 27, 8:51 a.m. Inappropriate

Mary, Quite a Shermanesque rant. Assume you do feel better!

Posted Mon, Jan 27, 9:13 a.m. Inappropriate

I thought the same thing, Mary, as a Jersey Girl myself. I liked your geography lesson about west and east of the Hudson, too. The Meadowlands. Jersey all the way.

Posted Mon, Jan 27, 11 a.m. Inappropriate

Amen, sister. This Jerseygirl salutes you.

Marygrace Jennings, formerly of Montclair, NJ

Olymur

Posted Mon, Jan 27, 1:14 p.m. Inappropriate

Most of the lead up events and non-game stuff are being held in Manhattan. The NFL bills it as a NY/NJ Super Bowl. Also, we don't call them the New Jersey Giants. So, yeah, I hear your pain, but it's within reason to say New York is hosting.

RichB

Posted Mon, Jan 27, 2:55 p.m. Inappropriate

Poor, poor New Jersey. So far from God, so close to New York City.

Posted Tue, Jan 28, 8:06 a.m. Inappropriate

Hawks are wearing white in the SB. I should get a New Jersey.

BlueLight

Posted Sat, Feb 1, 9:30 p.m. Inappropriate

The Seattle, oops, Tacoma News Tribune should be the first ones to know what it's like to be incorrectly identified by your larger neighboring city.

We should have made sure the Broncos went to New York and then seen if we could have gotten the bridges and tunnels closed.

tvjames