Crosscut staff writer
Provide informed, insightful coverage of the most pressing issues affecting the city of Seattle, the Puget Sound region and the Pacific Northwest; deliver a steady stream of clear, concise, conversational stories that inform, entertain and propel positive change.
Qualified applicants please apply here.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide comprehensive coverage of a variety of topics, as assigned by the Managing Editor.
2. Develop a network of contacts in the community that can help identify stories that are not being covered by other media outlets.
3. Produce 2-5 reported stories each week that meet journalistic and organizational standards for fairness, thoroughness and quality
4. Produce 5-10 news summaries/ shorts each week for Crosscut’s daily news aggregation product.
5. Collaborate with photographers, videographers and web developers in the newsroom to create stories that are visually compelling and incorporate a range of media.
6. Serve as a Crosscut representative at community events and working with partner organizations.
7. Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field or equivalent experience required
2. Demonstrated ability to digest complex information and communicate in it in a way that is engaging and understandable to a broad audience
3. Excellent writing and reporting skills.
4. Ability to collect, quickly digest and analyze government documents and emails to write about official actions in an insightful and fair manner.
5. Interest in public policy a must; familiarity with Seattle or other city government a plus.
6. Highest integrity and commitment to journalistic standards.
7. Diligence in pursuing information, interviews and public records requests.
8. Pathological attention to detail.
9. Familiarity with collecting, analyzing and presenting data.
10. Ability to manage complex, longer-term writing projects while maintaining beat coverage.
11. Photo and multimedia skills highly desirable.
1. Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time
2. Ability to type on a keyboard for long periods of time
3. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods
Back to Job Opportunities