Our Sponsors:Read more »
Many thanks to Rachel Newmann and Teri & Robert Stephens some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
Opportunities at Crosscut Public Media
Crosscut is the leading digital news source for politics and policy coverage in Seattle and Washington state. Our not-for-profit, member-supported mission is to give readers the kind of in-depth insight and analysis they need to fully participate in civic life.
We are wonks with attitude – and an agenda: to spark the kinds of conversations we need to be having. How do we build a better public transit system? Make public schools so good that even affluent families send their kids there? Infuse civic life with innovative technology and design? End political gridlock? Embrace diversity? Reinvent journalism?
Seattle City Reporter
About the Position
We are looking for a smart, energetic, meticulous reporter to provide this kind of informed, insightful coverage for the city of Seattle. This person should be in love with public policy and equipped with the writing and observational skills to turn inside City Hall (and out) - from the dramatic to the mundane - into clear, concise, conversational stories that inform, entertain and propel positive change.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- Ability to collect, quickly digest and analyze government documents and emails to write about official actions in insightful, fair ways
- Interest in public policy a must; familiarity with Seattle or other city government a plus
- Highest integrity and commitment to journalistic standards
- Outstanding diligence in pursuing information, interviews and public records requests
- Pathological attention to detail
- Familiarity with collecting, analyzing and presenting data
- Good time management skills - must be able to manage complex, longer-term writing projects while maintaining beat coverage
- Photo and multimedia skills highly desirable
- Editing experience a plus
Candidates should email resumes, three to five pieces of their best work and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: City reporter. Position open until filled.
Crosscut is a start-up non-profit with a great team, flexible workplace, and significant contacts in the community. All internships are unpaid, however offer Orca bus/light rail passes.DEVELOPMENT AND MARKETING INTERNSHIP
Crosscut seeks a part-time (15-20 hours/week) Development and Marketing Intern to work directly with the Development Director on community outreach, member recruitment, sponsor research, and grant writing. Applicants should have an interest in development and outreach in the nonprofit sector. This is a great fit for someone pursuing or considering a career in fundraising or non-profit leadership.
During the duration of this internship, projects may include collaboration on:
- Spring Member drive strategy and execution
- Representing Crosscut at community events
- Designing engaging marketing materials
- Salesforce/database management
- Research of available grants and drafting of proposals
This internship will be structured to challenge and grow the skills needed to provide a foundation for professional goals in non-profit news or leadership. Through mentorship, coaching, and hands on partnership in the above areas, the intern will gain substantial experience in relationship management, marketing, and development, as well as exposure to non-profit culture and newsmakers/reporters across the Northwest.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.Editorial Internship
Crosscut seeks an intern for 6-12 months with college degree and a passion for journalism and good writing. Lots of opportunity to keep the site updated, build offerings, work with experienced editors and writers, and to develop a nonprofit, independent, community-driven source of news in Seattle and the Northwest. Applicants should have wide range of interests, broad curiosity, excellent writing and editing skills, and some journalism experience. Ambitious self-starters are particularly welcome. Position is unpaid and part-time, but you will be encouraged to write as part of regular duties and as a paid freelancer. Successful interns can advance to staff positions. Please send resume and some writing samples to email@example.com