With the assist of a friendly Conservative government in Canada, Big Energy wins a skirmish. How will it affect the larger battle over coal and oil exports?READ MORE 32 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Remembering Paul Schell
- Parks and Proposition 1: Oh, how to vote?
- Why the parks district vote has become a referendum on trust
- Viral Video: Mars Hill in its own words
- What the Carlton Complex wildfire left behind
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- Protesters stall an oil train for hours at Anacortes
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately?
- Paul Schell's sudden death leaves Whidbey heartbroken
Many thanks to Dan Becker and Kenneth Powers some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Why the parks district vote has become a referendum on trust (54)
- Parks and Proposition 1: Oh, how to vote? (36)
- What $189 speeding tickets can buy (17)
- Will Seattle's parks initiative make us happier? (15)
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (37)
- Remembering Paul Schell (13)
- Can a Socialist unseat the powerful Democratic Speaker of the House? (10)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (45)
- Inslee to lay out ideas for cap-and-trade, carbon tax (6)
- The Daily Troll: Frank Chopp's challenger arrested. Pot cop busted. Trouble in apple country. (7)
With new shipments of oil running through Washington and British Columbia's waters, volunteers hope to get a handle on where any spill might flow.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: Environmental campaigner David Ellis writes about a foray into south central British Columbia to look at a pipeline in south central British Columbia where the Canadian government would like to send Alberta oil on its way to the Pacific.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The city councilwoman explains her favorite historical scuffle, which may or may not have revolved around a pig.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Commentary: I narrowly escaped the collapse of the I-5 Skagit bridge. What did God have to do with it?READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
Mastros' jewelry: not gaudy enough. Student loans to skyrocket. Bike to Work day.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
The transformation of the Eastside by foreign immigrants creates an opportunity for a new discussion about the ambitions of a booming city.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
Canadian firm Teck Cominco used the Columbia River as a hazardous waste dump for about 60 years. What will it cost them?READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Envelope, please: Politicians played heavy hands in the destruction of history across the Northwest, particularly in Seattle and Washington state, during 2012.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
The Coho sails between Port Angeles and Victoria, BC any time of year. Plus, it's easy on your wallet.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
We're rapidly being colonized by the culture and landscape of British Columbia. What's that all a-boot, eh?READ MORE 15 COMMENTS
Canada's western provinces used to be a sleepy extension of our own agricultural inland. Now a boom has Canada looking for faster ways to bring in skilled immigrants to help with all the work.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A 100-acre urban farm near the Vancouver airport is making a difference in how people think about their food.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A Canadian naval vessel had engaged in sonar training just days before a female orca, who might have bred and helped with L pod's recovery, washed up on the coast.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Radical U.S. environmentalists are out to get Canada! And seize the energy, oil, and wood businesses for the U.S.! Or, so a hypocritical government says.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Victoria's Empress Hotel sold to Vancouver couple
It's fabulous and receives few complaints from guests, but needs some improvements, says one of the new owners.
Coastal supertankers could follow Canadian approval of pipeline
The government approved a pipeline that would carry tar sands oil to British Columbia's coast for shipment abroad.
- Retro reality: Seattle looks back as life goes forward
- Midday Scan: Ms get political about new arena plan
- Midday Scan: Washington 'a profile in female-political representation'
- Newt and the newts: Meet the amphibian behind the man
- Occupy action at Seattle port: going ahead without union support
- Gordon Clinton, elected mayor a half century ago, helped create modern Seattle
- B.C. oil pipeline: A threat to the whole Northwest?
- The Daily Troll: Where ya going, Boeing? Congressman takes on child trafficking. Startup Seattle survives budget challenge.
- The Chinese investors are coming
- Is Bellevue the new Vancouver?
- Vancouver and Seattle: a tale of two arts cities
- Heritage Turkeys of the Year