The bill's main sponsor, Seattle Democrat Jamie Pedersen, says he doesn't have enough support lined up for it to pass yet. But Gov. Jay Inslee talked with members urging votes for the measure.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question
- As Capitol Hill deweirds, LGBTQ hate crime takes off
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Columbia City crash reveals dangers of density
- The Daily Troll: Getting closer to working on Bertha. Dissident police raise new complaints. 'Tony Soprano' return?
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound?
- A promising moment for Seattle pedestrians
- The Daily Troll: UW Bothell a good deal. Weyerhaeuser moving north on I-5. State making Viaduct progress.
- 'The Mikado's' yellowface through the eyes of my Asian daughter
- Nuclear energy is here to stay
Many thanks to Michael Gallagher and Deborah Berger some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- 'Stand-up economist': How to be optimistic about climate (20)
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound? (32)
- Columbia City crash reveals dangers of density (24)
- Nuclear energy is here to stay (14)
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question (17)
- Tight budgets force cuts to King County Public Health (13)
- A promising moment for Seattle pedestrians (8)
- Bertha: Wasting money while the Viaduct risks grow? (48)
- Memo to Steve Ballmer: Lakeside School is not the Clippers (19)
- Summer vacation's over, Obama has big decisions to make (4)
More amendments to a bill cosponsored by a Republican police officer are planned when the full House votes. The NRA says the sponsorship will weigh heavily in future ratings of the Republican, who is also a Seattle police officer.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
A key committee chair expresses cautious optimism about creating universal requirements for background checks, including at gun shows.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A House committee approved a measure to toughen penalties for juveniles caught with guns. But it still faces real hurdles.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Tough love for kids with guns draws crossfire from two sides.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: Data show that gun violence takes far too many lives. And there is public support for effective preventive measures.READ MORE 14 COMMENTS
Rep. Sherry Appleton says any attempt to clarify Stand Your Ground law in Washington would have to begin with broader understanding about the reasons for a change.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
It may be a new year, but Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles isn't giving up on her career anti-human trafficking resolution.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
In the wake of a tragedy in Florida, a Democratic lawmaker from Poulsbo hopes to clarify the law here.READ MORE 20 COMMENTS
The Christian religious tradition allows for none of this self-congratulatory delusion that we are the good people, assured of a special standing. Or that we should be toting guns everywhere without limitations.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Beset by a surge in robberies and homicides, police, politicians, and undaunted Rainier Valley residents walk the walkabout together, and talk a new talk of cooperation and community renewal.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Except when confronted with a tragedy like the Cafe Racer and Town Hall murders, most of the city tends to ignore the crime and the unmet need for more police officers that South Seattle endures constantly.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Guest Opinion: Armed gunmen won't solve school violence, but neither will a national focus on gun control.READ MORE 54 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: Newtown's tragedy has birthed a series of gun control actions locally. It's time to join in.READ MORE 15 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Stolen car recovered with 10-month-old child inside
A suspect was later taken into custody.
2 shot at gas pump in Kent
Police say they are talking with some people but they don't describe them as suspects.
Sex offenders outnumber their supervisors in Pierce County
According to the News Tribune, three detectives are "tasked full-time with monitoring thousands of sex offenders."
FBI and abduction experts join in search for missing Bremerton girl
Abduction experts from the FBI and members of the Center for Missing and Exploited Children Task Force joined the search Tuesday for missing Bremerton girl.
Authorities searching for missing Washington girl
Deputies are searching for a 6-year-old girl who was last seen in bed at her Bremerton home on Saturday night.
Could defendant's photobombs with Seattle officials lighten his sentence?
Defendant convicted of selling crack cocaine hopes that photos of him with Seattle officials will ligthen his sentence.
Police fatally shot man in Gas Works Park
Seattle police shot a man drinking in Gas Works Park this morning after he threatened them with a broken liquor bottle. The man died, according to Harborview Medical Center.
Arizona execution gone wrong
An inmate gasped and snorted, dying over an hour later after given a lethal injection that was supposed to kill him quickly.
Former Tacoma teacher pleads guilty to rape
Former Tacoma high school teacher admits she had sex with two students and talked to other students about sex.
Man charged with breaking into home to take a bath
A man was charged for breaking into a Lakewood home to take a bath.
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The power of one little story among 11.7 million undocumented immigrants
- $15 per hour: How's that going to work for you, Seattle?
- How Tacoma's immigration protest spawned a national fight
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians
- Hispanic children face big challenges in Washington
- As Capitol Hill deweirds, LGBTQ hate crime takes off
- Boeing and its older workers: The brewing confrontation
- The missing angle in the Hobby Lobby debate
- Police body cameras: An idea whose time hasn't come. Yet.
- Voting rights: A path forward here and in D.C.
- Who's responsible for tech industry ethics?