Guest Opinion: While the industry buffs its image, Washington's waters are at increasing risk.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Prop 1: What King County Metro hopes you won't notice
- Metro Transit cuts ahead as vote goes heavily against tax measure
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it?
- The Daily Troll: Prepare to be surprised on 520 bridge. Bell Street: Call that a 'park'? Frye Museum as launching pad.
- High stakes: Bertha contractor, state at odds over labor dispute costs
- As Prop. 1 falters, Metro fans ask, 'Now what?'
- Bell Street Park: A noble bust
- Can Seattle save itself from a San Francisco-sized tech backlash?
- Earth Day: Real environmentalists are conservative. And live where it's green
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo
Many thanks to Bradley & Sally Bagshaw and Michael Goodman some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Earth Day: Real environmentalists are conservative. And live where it's green (49)
- Metro Transit cuts ahead as vote goes heavily against tax measure (47)
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it? (31)
- New survey offers tips for implementing Seattle's new city council districts (12)
- As Prop. 1 falters, Metro fans ask, 'Now what?' (17)
- Bertha's long hibernation: Still hope for an on-time finish? (20)
- Can Seattle save itself from a San Francisco-sized tech backlash? (12)
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians (12)
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo (28)
- High stakes: Bertha contractor, state at odds over labor dispute costs (13)
Guest Opinion: Most of the talk about Earth Day is more about political positioning than saving the planet. Look what really makes a difference.READ MORE 49 COMMENTS
Attorney General Bob Ferguson says legal action against the U.S. Department of Energy could begin as early as next week.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
In the rush to ship energy to Asia from Washington and Oregon, more fossil fuels are being pushed.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
While it's being treated as a local issues, a fight in Oregon over old-growth logging could create larger threats for spotted owls and even other endangered species.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
The American Rivers organization put the White River on its annual Most Endangered list. Why? The old Buckley Diversion Dam.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
Owls, jobs and habitat: Have there been any real winners in since the Clinton administration compromise?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Progress on police chief search. Holden on writing about his own case. Amazon: Loving the urban life.
Pocket gophers: in our backyard.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Plus, KISS-KAM and NASA's flare video.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Corvallis, Oregon is now home to the federal government's Northwest regional climate hub. Why it matters.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
What does the Oso mudslide mean for the threatened populations of fish that call the Stillaguamish home?READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
With new shipments of oil running through Washington and British Columbia's waters, volunteers hope to get a handle on where any spill might flow.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
After unsuccessful negotiations, the governor and attorney general had harsh words for the Department of Energy.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The Legislature strengthens the authority of the Department of Natural Resources to deal with a serious environmental problem.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Guest Opinion: An emergency management expert on why Washingtonians choose to live in areas vulnerable to a tsunami. Or an earthquake. Or a volcanic flow.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
U.S. climate change related to China's smog problem
Industrial pollution from Beijing is increasingly prevalent in Pacfic storms; directly alters U.S. weather patterns.
Another Longview terminal? Propane & butane latest proposed export
A Dallas-based company has proposed a butane and propane terminal out of Longview, Wash.
Sen. Murray leads hearing on oil-train safety
A committee hearing is dominated by worries about disasters and a search for assurances.
Cargo delivery by bike: Only in Seattle?
Seattle local Dan Kohler is singlehandedly battling climate change and delivering fresh food all over town.
What caused that massive Eastern WA gas explosion?
A Northwest Pipeline official announced that a pressure vessel caused the gas explosion that occurred at Plymouth in Eastern Washington on March 31.
Why Fukushima is a warning about climate
Disasters can be easy to foresee but what happens if facing facts is unprofitable?
Outdated maps led to excessive clearcutting in Oso
Regulators allowed timber industry to clearcut acres of trees on the unstable plateau above Oso, in contradiction of Department of Ecology research.
Are climate change deniers risking arrest?
"There is a malicious, profiteering quietist agenda posturing as skepticism."
Oil train terminal fined by Oregon
The state says the terminal, which handles Bakken Field oil from North Dakota, is operating at far over its permitted capacity.
Fiftieth anniversary of Alaska quake
Seismic records claim the 1964 Alaskan earthquake to be the second largest quake at a 9.2 magnitude.
- Local Farmer to Lawmakers: Keep Health Premiums Affordable
- No dirt about It: Aquaponics takes urban farming underwater
- The Daily Troll: Top Republican under ethics microscope. Seattle's icicle problem. Protesting at Pike Place.
- Food labeling: Meaningless information serves no one
- Seattle's P-Patch godfather ditched the gold rush for gardening
- The ABCs of GMOs
- Chunky seabird in the crosshairs of state's timber-cutting machinery
- The landslide's fish fallout: Collateral damage on the Stillaguamish
- As wolverines return to Washington, another threat looms
- Should a sustainable city be horse-friendly? Yea or neigh?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Elephants' captivity gets panel's OK
- Obama tells Oso: We are with you
- How Alaska's quake changed the Northwest's outlook on disaster
- Seattle's 9.0: What happens when the ground stops shaking?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Tracking glaciers the Tangborn way
- The Daily Troll: Dear Armed Leader is looking at us. Boeing hopeful. Online option for youth in crisis.
- Earth Day: Greenwashing works well for oil industry
- Oil, coal, gas: Export proposals are growing
- Daily Troll: New oil train safety money? Bezos gives big to Hutch. Parks district hearing.
- Rising danger: Project tracks where oil spill might go in the Salish Sea
- Is Seattle ready for an oil train fire?
- Rail traffic and climate change part of Gateway Pacific enviro review