Dueling gun initiatives: the petition edition.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Meet the Districts
- A towering controversy in the Rainier Valley
- Boeing v. Machinists: Time for an Inslee-vention
- One-track mind: the return of the monorail
- A mayoral to-do list for Ed Murray
- Climate panel heats up. Result: frozen in place.
- 5 grownup heroes of foster care
- Best Places guidebook, R.I.P.
- Sark's USC exit? Predictable
- Is Boeing a terrorist organization?
Many thanks to Rob & Cindy Shurtleff and David Chelimer some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- One-track mind: the return of the monorail (81)
- Climate panel heats up. Result: frozen in place. (35)
- Boeing v. Machinists: Time for an Inslee-vention (31)
- Biweekly Seattle trash pick ups: A stinker? (26)
- 10 big challenges await Mayor Murray (62)
- Is Boeing a terrorist organization? (39)
- Fred Bassetti's legacy: Modernism that feels good to the human hand (9)
- A towering controversy in the Rainier Valley (22)
- Bike bullies: Turn off those blinking lights! (74)
- Pearl Harbor Day: 'We're at war against my relatives' (8)
Guest Opinion: The public and regulators need to take a closer look at Washington's growing fossil-fuel threats.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Whatcom County voting swung toward environmentalists but coal supporters and opponents have lots of battles ahead.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Is that coal dust in the air? Storm warnings: King County has an app for that.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Coming down to the wire, spending on contests for the Whatcom County Council are approaching $1 million.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Republicans hope to use progressives' campaign wealth against them in Whatcom County voting.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
With an undereducated population and a struggling economy, Longview would seem an easy sell on a new coal port. But there's a big problem looming.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Guest opinion: The coal bubble is bursting, making coal exports and terminals a foolish investment.READ MORE 11 COMMENTS
Cultural concerns and treaty rights to protect fish loom large for a shipping terminal near Bellingham.READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
Kayaks, longshoremen and rappelling activists staged a major protest on the Columbia River last weekend.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
The state will pursue environmental questions about a facility near Bellingham all the way to China.READ MORE 23 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: Puget Sound's health is at risk if Washington becomes the fossil fuel gateway to Asia. President Obama says he's open to "better ideas." Time for state leaders to give him some.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
The push for more oil trains sparks debate - and fears - about the safest way to move crude.READ MORE 19 COMMENTS
Too bad the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wasn't watching before it declared that climate change will be off the table for its environmental review of coal-export terminals in the Pacific Northwest.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: More money for state budget. Coal port plan escapes wide environmental review. Bicyclist gets keys to Portland. transportation office.
The I-5 bridge over the Skagit River is reopening with temporary fixes. Seattle kindie rock stars set to tour.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
WA bishops call for coal port review
Washington's four Catholic bishops released a statement Friday calling for an "exhaustive and independent review" of potential environmental, economic and climate-change impacts of huge coal export terminals proposed at Longview and Cherry Point, north of Bellingham.
- Food labeling: Meaningless information serves no one
- Seattle's P-Patch godfather ditched the gold rush for gardening
- The ABCs of GMOs
- Sheepdog showdown on Vashon
- Beacon Hill: The city's new urban gardening hub?
- The Daily Troll: Philanthropy leader dies in plane crash. Apple crop: It's a biggie. Wooden boat opportunities grow.
- Tankers, barges and trains, Oh my!
- New EPA rules could throw a wrench into NW coal game
- Does Puget Sound Energy need 20 more years of relying on coal?
- Green state law called into question
- The Daily Troll: Inslee promises tunnel restart. Stretched 787 flies. WA small businesses says big companies have cushy tax deal.
- Saying goodbye to Seattle's 'Father of Organics' & 'Guru of Conservation'
- Seattle's 9.0: What happens when the ground stops shaking?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Tracking glaciers the Tangborn way
- The Daily Troll: Dear Armed Leader is looking at us. Boeing hopeful. Online option for youth in crisis.
- Bracing for tsunamis: It's in tribal DNA
- Alaska's Pebble Mine will spell trouble for Northwest salmon