The federal government doesn't want to hear about wrecking dams. Idaho doesn't either.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
- A big hole in NW diversity
- Microsoft and the Smartphone Problem
- Could BP turn Bellingham into a Northwest oil export capital?
- Control of Olympia: It's a primary free-for-all
- The Daily Troll: Wildfires destroy close to 100 homes. Seattle picks Marysville retiree as interim school superintendent. China's online giant looking at Seattle.
Many thanks to Don Stark and Leslie Smith some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (43)
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (57)
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (20)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (37)
- A big hole in NW diversity (19)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap (25)
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District (18)
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately? (10)
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity. (12)
The Obama administration keeps recycling Bush-era Columbia River policies, and it keeps losing. What's the deal?READ MORE 10 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Temps, wildfires heat up. Will Microsoft layoffs be big? Summer fun, as long as you stay out of traffic.
Blueberry crop: Enough to make you happy and healthy.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The mayor says he won't be deterred from police reform by lawsuits or threats of legal action. A U.S. Attorney says the suit over use of force policies is "without merit."READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A species has come back a long way. But are political forces gunning to stop the gains before wolf populations reach a sustainable level?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Guest Opinion: Our leaders keep acting like they have things under control and that nuclear weapons protect us. That's irresponsible.READ MORE 11 COMMENTS
Mandela memorial at Seattle Center.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Ed Murray rebuffed. Caution: If you see a snowman, run the other way.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
National parks personnel in the Northwest scrambled Monday to prepare for a shutdown as early snow complicated their work.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Warming waters are a new threat for Columbia River fish. Dams remain an ever-present problem.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
The NSA isn't the only agency watching us. The new Consumer Finance Protection Bureau has the power to get your financial information - and share it with any government agency.READ MORE 10 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: As the former state Secretary of Transportation, I know the department is ready to respond.READ MORE 38 COMMENTS
House Democrats prepare to pass their budget. And partisan sniping breaks out on a transportation issues.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Seattle mayoral candidates called the departure of Seattle Police Chief John Diaz a chance to push for more rapid change. But when should the search begin?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Supporters of a coal port near Bellingham want to keep the focus on what they see as the main issues: More jobs and revenue for local governments.READ MORE 14 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Obama gives protection to gay and transgender workers
President Obama gave protection to gay and transgender workers in the federal government on Monday.
JBLM may cut 16,000 soldiers
A new army report released Thursday outlines potential cuts at Joint Base Lewis-McChord that could result in a worst-case scenario of 16,000 fewer soldiers and a $17.4 million loss in tax income for Pierce and Thurston Counties.
Obama sends 300 military advisers to Iraq
President Obama announced today he is shipping 300 military advisers to Iraq to help the government in its battle against insurgents. Although the advisers aren’t combat troops, CNN analysts say it could be the first step towards broader military engagement.
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- The bomb and the explosion of U.S. suburbs
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- 'Duty' by Robert Gates: Petulant potshots
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown
- Whale-watching boats: no 'room' for the orcas