The Great Recession and federal and state budget cuts are creating hurdles for heritage advocates who see historic preservation and urban revitalization as a way out of the economic doldrums. Obama's budget is a major setback because it slashes cherished programs.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The UX Doctor: Fixing Seattle's new parking meters
- Prop 1: What King County Metro hopes you won't notice
- Politics in Washington: Ready for an explosion
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo
- The Daily Troll: Ross Hunter rejects Senate run. Bellevue fires a cop. Dan Lewis leaving KOMO.
- Washington's White River, 8th most endangered in the land
- Fight for state Senate control could enter unknown territory
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it?
- What if two wildly different gun initiatives both win voter approval?
Many thanks to Robert Moore and Monica Elenbaas some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Prop 1: What King County Metro hopes you won't notice (47)
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it? (23)
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo (22)
- Oil, coal, gas: Export proposals are growing (8)
- The UX Doctor: Fixing Seattle's new parking meters (21)
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians (12)
- First Hill residents worry about Metro Transit cuts (11)
- Washington's White River, 8th most endangered in the land (8)
- Fed up with Olympia: Can smaller class sizes make the ballot? (43)
- Seattle's creepy Donut Shop: The inside story (12)
The decision to relocate the Marine Operations Center in Seattle to Newport has run afoul of flood-plain regulations. NOAA has agreed to reassess its decision, but the Oregon subsidy may still carry the day.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A brown-bag lunch with the media gives a peek into some challenges that face the new mayor and the city, and how he plans on conducting himself.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Seven days that liberals should never forget, much less repeat.READ MORE 17 COMMENTS
In Seattle and Olympia, new blogs are trying to reshape public opinion about historic preservation by focusing on successes, failures, and hidden architectural influences. Who knew the prevalence of the geodesic dome?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The biggest Shanghai surprise so far is how U.S. participation in China's Expo 2010, once in doubt, has been saved by Hillary Clinton's prodigious fund-raising ability. But it's not the whole story.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Weyerhaeuser is close to becoming a real estate investment trust. For tax analysts and shareholders, forests are no longer about timber; they're about harvesting tax-advantaged money.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Not all the past decade was a curse. A look ahead, this one in verse.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The patron saint of livable, walkable cities is being invoked on both sides of the debate over Seattle's Viaduct solution. Would Jacobs be a tunnel supporter, or a surface option fan?READ MORE 30 COMMENTS
It's time to put some teeth into one of education's over-used buzzwords. What's needed are proper testing and real consequences for failure.READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
She defies her party's leadership by introducing a strong measure curbing big banks, and jumps to the front of the line on the state's protest against NOAA's decision to move to Oregon.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
In an attempt to stop the move of oceanic research from Seattle to Newport, Ore., Washington leaders are pressing the case on behalf of Bellingham.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
There are times when war is justified, argued the president's favorite philosopher. And so, despite Obama's anti-Iraq War campaign and his recent Peace Prize, he's got the ghost of Reinhold Niebuhr on his shoulder.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
The port's protest gained standing in Washington, D.C., leaving in doubt NOAA's selection of Newport for its Pacific Fleet, now based at Lake Union.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Tax Day: chances of getting audited lowest ever
Fewer auditing agents will be policing Americans' tax returns due to budget cuts and new IRS responsibilities.
Obama: Republicans trying to rig midterm elections
"President Obama deplored on Friday what he called a Republican campaign to deny voting rights to millions of Americans as he stepped up efforts to rally his political base heading into a competitive midterm campaign season."
NRA: Second Amendment covers knives too
Gun rights advocates expand their Second Amendment ideology to encompass knives, too.
Federal judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage
And "clerks could start issuing licenses on Monday unless a higher court intervenes."
Federal detainees stage hunger strike in Tacoma
The 750 people at the detention center are demanding better conditions.
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- The bomb and the explosion of U.S. suburbs
- Fed-up state officials may cite Hanford for miscues on radioactive leaks
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- 'Duty' by Robert Gates: Petulant potshots
- $15 or Less: Two Beer's new beers. Pet Rocks show 'n tell. Noir Puppets.
- Daily Troll: Msft hearts Nokia. New Health Exchange call center. City Council talks taxi survey.
- Secret: Site of state's first July 4 celebration is locked away
- About face: Addressing the tragic irony of military suicide
- Memorial Day: Survivor recalls daring Doolittle Raid
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation