That is, if Washington and the U.S. follow suit. The name would enhance but not supplant existing names for inland waters on either side of the border.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
- A big hole in NW diversity
- Microsoft and the Smartphone Problem
- Could BP turn Bellingham into a Northwest oil export capital?
- Control of Olympia: It's a primary free-for-all
- The Daily Troll: Wildfires destroy close to 100 homes. Seattle picks Marysville retiree as interim school superintendent. China's online giant looking at Seattle.
Many thanks to Paul Magnano and Steve Gunn some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (43)
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (56)
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (20)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (37)
- A big hole in NW diversity (19)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap (25)
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District (18)
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity. (12)
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately? (10)
Navigating the unemployment system is no easy task ... for people seeking jobs, hiring, or even those advising the applicants. Anybody need a professional hoop-jumper?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The University of Washington's Nuclear Reactor Building has won a place on the National Historic Register, a key step in saving this wonderfully designed structure from demolition.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
'Flood control is an oxymoron,' one expert says. Maybe, instead of spending so much money trying to control our rivers, we should buy out property owners and let the water run free.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Her questioning of corporate "personhood" is a positive sign on a fundamental fight.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Why making progress on health care, foreign affairs and the financial system is harder than it looks.READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
Sandra Day O'Connor, visiting Seattle, argues for scrapping the state's judicial elections, making judges appointed. Ain't gonna happen.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Salmon advocates had expected a move toward study of breaching dams as a remedy for declining runs on the Snake and Columbia. Instead, they got a "split-the-baby" decision that may please neither side of this hot political issue.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Or rather, on it, as the U.S. mint prepares to issue a new series of quarters.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Seattle's dynamic duo talk about their new DC roles.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Economists have an answer for why Americans are skittish about change, and it could help Obama's sales pitch.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Port of Bellingham attorneys have discovered a federal restriction, dating back to Jimmy Carter times, banning the location of new federal buildings on wetlands and flood plains. Guess what Newport sits on?READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
An economist is skeptical about the goals and benefits of Obama's rail vision.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Port Commissioners are briefed on how Bellingham and Newport compare, as prospective new homes for the research ships. That was a tie, but the Oregon city won the match by putting money on the table. Bellingham decides not to challenge the ruling.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Obama gives protection to gay and transgender workers
President Obama gave protection to gay and transgender workers in the federal government on Monday.
JBLM may cut 16,000 soldiers
A new army report released Thursday outlines potential cuts at Joint Base Lewis-McChord that could result in a worst-case scenario of 16,000 fewer soldiers and a $17.4 million loss in tax income for Pierce and Thurston Counties.
Obama sends 300 military advisers to Iraq
President Obama announced today he is shipping 300 military advisers to Iraq to help the government in its battle against insurgents. Although the advisers aren’t combat troops, CNN analysts say it could be the first step towards broader military engagement.
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- The bomb and the explosion of U.S. suburbs
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- 'Duty' by Robert Gates: Petulant potshots
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown
- Whale-watching boats: no 'room' for the orcas