Preservationists worry that the character of Bellingham's historic neighborhood rides on the FDIC's willingness to enforce its own order restricting a controversial development.READ MORE 16 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound?
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- As Capitol Hill deweirds, LGBTQ hate crime takes off
- 'The Mikado's' yellowface through the eyes of my Asian daughter
- The Daily Troll: Getting closer to working on Bertha. Dissident police raise new complaints. 'Tony Soprano' return?
- The Daily Troll: UW Bothell a good deal. Weyerhaeuser moving north on I-5. State making Viaduct progress.
- A promising moment for Seattle pedestrians
- Columbia City crash reveals dangers of density
- Nuclear energy is here to stay
Many thanks to Paul Calderon and Matthew Stubbs some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound? (32)
- 'Stand-up economist': How to be optimistic about climate (20)
- Nuclear energy is here to stay (14)
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question (16)
- Columbia City crash reveals dangers of density (15)
- Tight budgets force cuts to King County Public Health (13)
- Amgen: A lesson in state's tax break policy (17)
- A promising moment for Seattle pedestrians (8)
- Bertha: Wasting money while the Viaduct risks grow? (48)
- In South Seattle, a DIY small business crime deterrent (10)
That is, if Washington and the U.S. follow suit. The name would enhance but not supplant existing names for inland waters on either side of the border.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Navigating the unemployment system is no easy task ... for people seeking jobs, hiring, or even those advising the applicants. Anybody need a professional hoop-jumper?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The University of Washington's Nuclear Reactor Building has won a place on the National Historic Register, a key step in saving this wonderfully designed structure from demolition.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
'Flood control is an oxymoron,' one expert says. Maybe, instead of spending so much money trying to control our rivers, we should buy out property owners and let the water run free.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Her questioning of corporate "personhood" is a positive sign on a fundamental fight.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Why making progress on health care, foreign affairs and the financial system is harder than it looks.READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
Sandra Day O'Connor, visiting Seattle, argues for scrapping the state's judicial elections, making judges appointed. Ain't gonna happen.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Salmon advocates had expected a move toward study of breaching dams as a remedy for declining runs on the Snake and Columbia. Instead, they got a "split-the-baby" decision that may please neither side of this hot political issue.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Or rather, on it, as the U.S. mint prepares to issue a new series of quarters.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Seattle's dynamic duo talk about their new DC roles.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Economists have an answer for why Americans are skittish about change, and it could help Obama's sales pitch.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Port of Bellingham attorneys have discovered a federal restriction, dating back to Jimmy Carter times, banning the location of new federal buildings on wetlands and flood plains. Guess what Newport sits on?READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
An economist is skeptical about the goals and benefits of Obama's rail vision.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Port Commissioners are briefed on how Bellingham and Newport compare, as prospective new homes for the research ships. That was a tie, but the Oregon city won the match by putting money on the table. Bellingham decides not to challenge the ruling.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Job cuts at JBLM
Up to 102 civil service workers at JBLM will be laid off by mid-January as part of cutbacks to military spending.
Puget Sound VAs may hide wait times too
New data released from a national audit reveals that 33% of schedulers in Lakewood and Seattle Veterans Affairs hospitals were told to manipulate wait times.
Another VA problem area: security
Veterans Affairs officers say there are real problems at the health care facilities.
JBLM crews fight Central Washington wildfires
JBLM National Guard troops are joining the battle against wildfires in Central Washington by pouring buckets of water to quell the flames.
Obama gives protection to gay and transgender workers
President Obama gave protection to gay and transgender workers in the federal government on Monday.
- Seattle City Light's little nuclear share
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Jay Inslee cautions JBLM cuts. Health insurance, take 2. Amazon acquires Twitch.
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- The Daily Troll: 3 bodies recovered on Rainier. Hanford whistleblower wins. Dollars per vote in parks campaign.
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown