In an unusual act of international cooperation, the proposal to name the inland waters of the Pacific Northwest is being handled by both countries at once.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Crosscut Investigates: The new face of Seattle's booming sex industry
- Weyerhaeuser's new house
- Viral Video: Moving Mazama tells the tale of Tom Kundig's ill-placed home
- Seattle's sex industry: The streets don't look like they used to
- What you should know about Seattle's bus measure
- The Daily Troll: Mars Hill pastor resigns. Resistance grows to ferry reservations. Beacon Hill test scores tossed.
- Infographic: Washington's competing gun control initiatives
- The linkage fee trap
- The Daily Troll: Fees planned on new development. Mars Hill puts its message out. Ed Murray, Sawant should like their poll numbers.
- Death with dignity can be a natural process
Many thanks to Penny Thomas and Howard Baldwin some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- The linkage fee trap (44)
- What you should know about Seattle's bus measure (33)
- Seattle City Council pushes forward on developer fees (21)
- Report: Inaction on transportation is costing each WA driver $1,000+ a year (24)
- Bike share rolls onto Seattle streets (116)
- Crosscut's 1st ever David Brewster Lifetime Achievement Award winner in courage (2)
- Murray stumps for Pre-K measure (15)
- What my grandmother's murder taught me about juvenile 'justice' (27)
- Infographic: Washington's competing gun control initiatives (10)
- Weyerhaeuser's new house (7)
Recent Northwest examples of the government failing to follow its own rules on protecting heritage.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Soon we will know why NOAA picked Newport, which one would have thought ranked dead last in the criteria. Then may come a long-shot effort at reversing the strange decision.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Taken by surprise, some members of the Washington D.C. delegation are preparing to challenge the decision moving NOAA from Seattle to Newport, Oregon. It's a particularly tough blow for Bellingham, whose ambitious waterfront revival was counting on the NOAA fleet.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Its stunning raid of Seattle-based NOAA ships culminates a story going back 40 years, and rewards some smart economic planningREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Gary Locke seems to be hands-on in helping to solve the diplomatic problem of U.S. expo participation in Shanghai.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Forty years ago, we all experienced something we've tried to duplicate ever since: an inspiring global moment that was both scientific and spiritual. But even then, some of us were of two minds about the moon landing.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Maritime advocates are looking to have Congress declare most of Washington's coastline, including Puget Sound, a National Heritage Area. It could be a boon for tourism, preservation, and the marine industry itself.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
As promised, my TV has gone blank. Well, almost.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Why I'm not converting to digital TV. So long, Jean Enersen!READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
A Puget Sound beachcomber and U.W. oceanographer has expanded our understanding of the oceans by studying driftwood and rubber duckies. Here's an unbeatable "beach read" for the summer.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
High-speed rail between Seattle and Vancouver could be a catalyst for regional development, and identity.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
We should not use this money to build Oil Age infrastructure, compounding our energy problems. Yet the state, like many others, is doing just that.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
Recent Obama administration decisions bode well on the Columbia, and Gary Locke, who knows plenty about salmon, is a key new actorREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Jobless Rate Below 6%
The United States' jobless rate fell to 5.9%, it's lowest since 2008.
Attorney general Eric Holder to resign
The Justice Department announced on Thursday that Attorney General Holder will remain in office until a successor is confirmed.
Forest Service blocks media cameras throughout nation's wilderness areas
Under a proposed rule that is already being enforced temporarily, the media will need to pay up to $1,500 just to take an iPhone photo or conduct an interview inside a wilderness area.
Justice Dept. to investigate Ferguson police
The U.S. Justice Department plans to open a civil rights investigation of police officers in Ferguson and St. Louis County. This will be a broader, second investigation in addition to the other probe already underway of Officer Darren Wilson, who is suspected of shooting unarmed teenager Michael Brown on Aug. 9.
- Seattle City Light's little nuclear share
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Jay Inslee cautions JBLM cuts. Health insurance, take 2. Amazon acquires Twitch.
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- The Daily Troll: 3 bodies recovered on Rainier. Hanford whistleblower wins. Dollars per vote in parks campaign.
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown