Maritime advocates are looking to have Congress declare most of Washington's coastline, including Puget Sound, a National Heritage Area. It could be a boon for tourism, preservation, and the marine industry itself.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Prop 1: What King County Metro hopes you won't notice
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo
- The Daily Troll: Ross Hunter rejects Senate run. Bellevue fires a cop. Dan Lewis leaving KOMO.
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it?
- The Daily Troll: Prepare to be surprised on 520 bridge. Bell Street: Call that a 'park'? Frye Museum as launching pad.
- Metro Transit cuts ahead as vote goes heavily against tax measure
- Politics in Washington: Ready for an explosion
- The Daily Troll: Bertha's latest big dig delay. Metro Transit vote: Down to the wire. Habib seeks Eastside Senate spot.
- The Daily Troll: Inslee hires coal lobbyist. Metro escalator lessons. 'Absolutely True': Idaho students can read Alexie.
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians
Many thanks to Philip Brazil and Sherry Prowda some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Earth Day: Real environmentalists are conservative. And live where it's green (36)
- Prop 1: What King County Metro hopes you won't notice (51)
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it? (28)
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo (28)
- New survey offers tips for implementing Seattle's new city council districts (12)
- Metro Transit cuts ahead as vote goes heavily against tax measure (14)
- Bertha's long hibernation: Still hope for an on-time finish? (20)
- Oil, coal, gas: Export proposals are growing (8)
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians (12)
- First Hill residents worry about Metro Transit cuts (15)
As promised, my TV has gone blank. Well, almost.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Why I'm not converting to digital TV. So long, Jean Enersen!READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
A Puget Sound beachcomber and U.W. oceanographer has expanded our understanding of the oceans by studying driftwood and rubber duckies. Here's an unbeatable "beach read" for the summer.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
High-speed rail between Seattle and Vancouver could be a catalyst for regional development, and identity.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
We should not use this money to build Oil Age infrastructure, compounding our energy problems. Yet the state, like many others, is doing just that.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
Recent Obama administration decisions bode well on the Columbia, and Gary Locke, who knows plenty about salmon, is a key new actorREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Many of the world's cities are shrinking, and some urban planners say that's a great opportunity to redesign and re-green urban spaces. Forget smart growth. The new trend is "smart decline."READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
The courts, which have rejected plans for Columbia River dams for decades, finally have a good governmental partner. But plenty of legal snarls remain, along with issues relating to climate change.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Right-wingers have created a phony, paranoid faux populism that's nutty and dangerous. But we should also pay attention, particularly in a state that once elected a Populist governor.READ MORE 19 COMMENTS
A new book looks at one spectacular legacy in the Colorado PlateauREAD MORE 2 COMMENTS
Eyes turn to new Commerce Secretary Gary Locke as U.S. expo boosters look for someone to prevent China's "humiliation" over America's possible no-show at Shanghai's Expo 2010.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer's print edition dies, and while it's a shock to Seattle's sense of specialness, a new study shows that most people don't really care whether their local daily lives or dies. The real buzz is about what's next.READ MORE 27 COMMENTS
Walling off migration is not possible. But there are ways to downsize our ambitions to a Lesser Seattle, which might be good for America and the environment.READ MORE 27 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Tax Day: chances of getting audited lowest ever
Fewer auditing agents will be policing Americans' tax returns due to budget cuts and new IRS responsibilities.
Obama: Republicans trying to rig midterm elections
"President Obama deplored on Friday what he called a Republican campaign to deny voting rights to millions of Americans as he stepped up efforts to rally his political base heading into a competitive midterm campaign season."
NRA: Second Amendment covers knives too
Gun rights advocates expand their Second Amendment ideology to encompass knives, too.
Federal judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage
And "clerks could start issuing licenses on Monday unless a higher court intervenes."
Federal detainees stage hunger strike in Tacoma
The 750 people at the detention center are demanding better conditions.
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- The bomb and the explosion of U.S. suburbs
- Fed-up state officials may cite Hanford for miscues on radioactive leaks
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- 'Duty' by Robert Gates: Petulant potshots
- $15 or Less: Two Beer's new beers. Pet Rocks show 'n tell. Noir Puppets.
- Daily Troll: Msft hearts Nokia. New Health Exchange call center. City Council talks taxi survey.
- Secret: Site of state's first July 4 celebration is locked away
- About face: Addressing the tragic irony of military suicide
- Memorial Day: Survivor recalls daring Doolittle Raid
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation