In an unusual act of international cooperation, the proposal to name the inland waters of the Pacific Northwest is being handled by both countries at once.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Bertha mess: Did Seattle bring it on itself?
- WSDOT may have to re-bury Bertha
- Seattle's affordable housing explained
- The Daily Troll: Another new stadium for Seattle? Restaurant ratings to get upgrade. Pioneer Square digging gets noisy.
- Welcome back to Boondogglia
- The Daily Troll: Comcast boosts internet speed. Google's top 2014 searches. Chief O'Toole looks for new assistant chiefs.
- A crack in Pioneer Square's urban renewal
- The Daily Troll: The latest viaduct report. A possible HIV vaccine. A farewell to Toilet Paper Guy?
- Most Read of 2014 No. 9: What is it like to work at Amazon?
- Inslee proposes new taxes to meet state needs
Many thanks to Bruce Kochis and Mary Shane some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- The Bertha mess: Did Seattle bring it on itself? (59)
- WSDOT may have to re-bury Bertha (59)
- Viaduct, City Council share that sinking feeling (95)
- How income inequality is keeping state coffers low (34)
- Inslee wants to limit carbon emissions, help with budget challenges (8)
- Seattle's affordable housing explained (16)
- Most Read 2014 No. 10: The unspoken realities behind a King County Metro tax proposition (9)
- What's the mayor thinking? Ed Murray's reading list (3)
- Inslee proposes new taxes to meet state needs (9)
- The Daily Troll: Coal trains' hidden support. Medical pot busted. Bertha: Soil was rated a big risk. (4)
Recent Northwest examples of the government failing to follow its own rules on protecting heritage.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Soon we will know why NOAA picked Newport, which one would have thought ranked dead last in the criteria. Then may come a long-shot effort at reversing the strange decision.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Taken by surprise, some members of the Washington D.C. delegation are preparing to challenge the decision moving NOAA from Seattle to Newport, Oregon. It's a particularly tough blow for Bellingham, whose ambitious waterfront revival was counting on the NOAA fleet.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Its stunning raid of Seattle-based NOAA ships culminates a story going back 40 years, and rewards some smart economic planningREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Gary Locke seems to be hands-on in helping to solve the diplomatic problem of U.S. expo participation in Shanghai.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Forty years ago, we all experienced something we've tried to duplicate ever since: an inspiring global moment that was both scientific and spiritual. But even then, some of us were of two minds about the moon landing.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Maritime advocates are looking to have Congress declare most of Washington's coastline, including Puget Sound, a National Heritage Area. It could be a boon for tourism, preservation, and the marine industry itself.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
As promised, my TV has gone blank. Well, almost.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Why I'm not converting to digital TV. So long, Jean Enersen!READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
A Puget Sound beachcomber and U.W. oceanographer has expanded our understanding of the oceans by studying driftwood and rubber duckies. Here's an unbeatable "beach read" for the summer.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
High-speed rail between Seattle and Vancouver could be a catalyst for regional development, and identity.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
We should not use this money to build Oil Age infrastructure, compounding our energy problems. Yet the state, like many others, is doing just that.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
Recent Obama administration decisions bode well on the Columbia, and Gary Locke, who knows plenty about salmon, is a key new actorREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
The torture stories no one talks about
The horrific stories of CIA-sponsored torture that aren't in the Senate report.
Hard to imagine Bush and Cheney didn't know about CIA
Political preferences aside, it's difficult to imagine how President Bush would not have known about the CIA's torture tactics.
VA chief may fire 1,000
The Secretary of Veterans Affairs will announce Monday a massive restructuring of the department in the wake of a scandal that left more than a hundred thousand veterans waiting for health care.
Ex-SEAL Robert O'Neill says he killed Osama bin Laden
O'Neill confirmed to The Washington Post that he was the unnamed SEAL who was first to tumble through the doorway of bin Laden's bedroom and take aim at the terrorist leader.
- Seattle City Light's little nuclear share
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- What Veterans Day and the Berlin Wall share
- The Daily Troll: Jay Inslee cautions JBLM cuts. Health insurance, take 2. Amazon acquires Twitch.
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Gold mine's pending closure brings the blues to Republic
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- The Daily Troll: 3 bodies recovered on Rainier. Hanford whistleblower wins. Dollars per vote in parks campaign.
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown