Recent Northwest examples of the government failing to follow its own rules on protecting heritage.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- Could BP turn Bellingham into a Northwest oil export capital?
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately?
- Control of Olympia: It's a primary free-for-all
- Are the feds simply shielding Columbia River dams from wrecking balls?
- Coal exports from Bellingham could ramp up rapidly
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
Many thanks to Robert Masonis and Richard Donnelly some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (30)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap (26)
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (44)
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately? (12)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (38)
- A big hole in NW diversity (19)
- Glimmers of healthcare politics at meeting of Western Washington docs (9)
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (58)
- Are the feds simply shielding Columbia River dams from wrecking balls? (11)
Soon we will know why NOAA picked Newport, which one would have thought ranked dead last in the criteria. Then may come a long-shot effort at reversing the strange decision.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Taken by surprise, some members of the Washington D.C. delegation are preparing to challenge the decision moving NOAA from Seattle to Newport, Oregon. It's a particularly tough blow for Bellingham, whose ambitious waterfront revival was counting on the NOAA fleet.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Its stunning raid of Seattle-based NOAA ships culminates a story going back 40 years, and rewards some smart economic planningREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Gary Locke seems to be hands-on in helping to solve the diplomatic problem of U.S. expo participation in Shanghai.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Forty years ago, we all experienced something we've tried to duplicate ever since: an inspiring global moment that was both scientific and spiritual. But even then, some of us were of two minds about the moon landing.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Maritime advocates are looking to have Congress declare most of Washington's coastline, including Puget Sound, a National Heritage Area. It could be a boon for tourism, preservation, and the marine industry itself.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
As promised, my TV has gone blank. Well, almost.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Why I'm not converting to digital TV. So long, Jean Enersen!READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
A Puget Sound beachcomber and U.W. oceanographer has expanded our understanding of the oceans by studying driftwood and rubber duckies. Here's an unbeatable "beach read" for the summer.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
High-speed rail between Seattle and Vancouver could be a catalyst for regional development, and identity.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
We should not use this money to build Oil Age infrastructure, compounding our energy problems. Yet the state, like many others, is doing just that.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
Recent Obama administration decisions bode well on the Columbia, and Gary Locke, who knows plenty about salmon, is a key new actorREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Many of the world's cities are shrinking, and some urban planners say that's a great opportunity to redesign and re-green urban spaces. Forget smart growth. The new trend is "smart decline."READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Another VA problem area: security
Veterans Affairs officers say there are real problems at the health care facilities.
JBLM crews fight Central Washington wildfires
JBLM National Guard troops are joining the battle against wildfires in Central Washington by pouring buckets of water to quell the flames.
Obama gives protection to gay and transgender workers
President Obama gave protection to gay and transgender workers in the federal government on Monday.
JBLM may cut 16,000 soldiers
A new army report released Thursday outlines potential cuts at Joint Base Lewis-McChord that could result in a worst-case scenario of 16,000 fewer soldiers and a $17.4 million loss in tax income for Pierce and Thurston Counties.
Obama sends 300 military advisers to Iraq
President Obama announced today he is shipping 300 military advisers to Iraq to help the government in its battle against insurgents. Although the advisers aren’t combat troops, CNN analysts say it could be the first step towards broader military engagement.
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- The bomb and the explosion of U.S. suburbs
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- 'Duty' by Robert Gates: Petulant potshots
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown
- Whale-watching boats: no 'room' for the orcas