In an unusual act of international cooperation, the proposal to name the inland waters of the Pacific Northwest is being handled by both countries at once.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound?
- Amgen: A lesson in state's tax break policy
- Memo to Steve Ballmer: Lakeside School is not the Clippers
- As Capitol Hill deweirds, LGBTQ hate crime takes off
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question
- Where are Washington's K-12 dollars? Just ask Microsoft shareholders
- The man who remade the Mariners
- In South Seattle, a DIY small business crime deterrent
- 'The Mikado's' yellowface through the eyes of my Asian daughter
Many thanks to Val Bush and Elaine Spencer some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound? (31)
- 'Stand-up economist': How to be optimistic about climate (13)
- Nuclear energy is here to stay (12)
- Bertha: Wasting money while the Viaduct risks grow? (48)
- Amgen: A lesson in state's tax break policy (17)
- Memo to Steve Ballmer: Lakeside School is not the Clippers (19)
- Tight budgets force cuts to King County Public Health (12)
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question (11)
- In South Seattle, a DIY small business crime deterrent (10)
- A promising moment for Seattle pedestrians (8)
Recent Northwest examples of the government failing to follow its own rules on protecting heritage.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Soon we will know why NOAA picked Newport, which one would have thought ranked dead last in the criteria. Then may come a long-shot effort at reversing the strange decision.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Taken by surprise, some members of the Washington D.C. delegation are preparing to challenge the decision moving NOAA from Seattle to Newport, Oregon. It's a particularly tough blow for Bellingham, whose ambitious waterfront revival was counting on the NOAA fleet.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Its stunning raid of Seattle-based NOAA ships culminates a story going back 40 years, and rewards some smart economic planningREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Gary Locke seems to be hands-on in helping to solve the diplomatic problem of U.S. expo participation in Shanghai.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Forty years ago, we all experienced something we've tried to duplicate ever since: an inspiring global moment that was both scientific and spiritual. But even then, some of us were of two minds about the moon landing.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Maritime advocates are looking to have Congress declare most of Washington's coastline, including Puget Sound, a National Heritage Area. It could be a boon for tourism, preservation, and the marine industry itself.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
As promised, my TV has gone blank. Well, almost.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Why I'm not converting to digital TV. So long, Jean Enersen!READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
A Puget Sound beachcomber and U.W. oceanographer has expanded our understanding of the oceans by studying driftwood and rubber duckies. Here's an unbeatable "beach read" for the summer.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
High-speed rail between Seattle and Vancouver could be a catalyst for regional development, and identity.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
We should not use this money to build Oil Age infrastructure, compounding our energy problems. Yet the state, like many others, is doing just that.READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
Recent Obama administration decisions bode well on the Columbia, and Gary Locke, who knows plenty about salmon, is a key new actorREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Job cuts at JBLM
Up to 102 civil service workers at JBLM will be laid off by mid-January as part of cutbacks to military spending.
Puget Sound VAs may hide wait times too
New data released from a national audit reveals that 33% of schedulers in Lakewood and Seattle Veterans Affairs hospitals were told to manipulate wait times.
Another VA problem area: security
Veterans Affairs officers say there are real problems at the health care facilities.
JBLM crews fight Central Washington wildfires
JBLM National Guard troops are joining the battle against wildfires in Central Washington by pouring buckets of water to quell the flames.
Obama gives protection to gay and transgender workers
President Obama gave protection to gay and transgender workers in the federal government on Monday.
- Seattle City Light's little nuclear share
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Jay Inslee cautions JBLM cuts. Health insurance, take 2. Amazon acquires Twitch.
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- The Daily Troll: 3 bodies recovered on Rainier. Hanford whistleblower wins. Dollars per vote in parks campaign.
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown