In 2009, two Northwest states are honored with an endangered species: postage stamps.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Daily Troll: Mars Hill lists Ballard spot for lease back. Claim against mayor's office. Vulcan to build Yesler housing.
- Weyerhaeuser's new house
- The Daily Troll: Mars Hill pastor resigns. Resistance grows to ferry reservations. Beacon Hill test scores tossed.
- What you should know about Seattle's bus measure
- Viral Video: Moving Mazama tells the tale of Tom Kundig's ill-placed home
- Bike share rolls onto Seattle streets
- Former Mayor's Office press secretary files discrimination claim against city
- Infographic: Washington's competing gun control initiatives
- Crosscut's 1st ever David Brewster Lifetime Achievement Award winner in courage
- Death with dignity can be a natural process
Many thanks to Lisa Cicconi and Richard Wilhelm some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Bike share rolls onto Seattle streets (116)
- What you should know about Seattle's bus measure (33)
- Crosscut's 1st ever David Brewster Lifetime Achievement Award winner in courage (2)
- What my grandmother's murder taught me about juvenile 'justice' (27)
- Murray stumps for Pre-K measure (15)
- The linkage fee trap (10)
- The Daily Troll: Mars Hill pastor resigns. Resistance grows to ferry reservations. Beacon Hill test scores tossed. (8)
- Democrats just can't get comfortable in the 30th District (13)
- Infographic: Washington's competing gun control initiatives (10)
- Viral Video: Moving Mazama tells the tale of Tom Kundig's ill-placed home (5)
A Washington Post story indicates that after a major multi-decade, multi-billion-dollar effort, there's little or no progress in saving Chesapeake Bay.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The errors are not serious, though the Hillary Clinton conflicts with Bill's donors could make problems at State. These blips underscore how difficult it is to shift from campaigning smartly to governing well.READ MORE 10 COMMENTS
Some think the time is ripe to revive a New Deal program that put writers to work for the public good. Others say that's what bloggers are already doing.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
The state has only had three cabinet posts in its history, a distinct underperformance. But consider one forgotten success story involving former mayor Dorm BramanREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Lacking top figures in the Obama administration from the region, area environmentalists are linking forest and salmon issues to a cause Obama understands better: climate change.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Another task Obama inherits is trying to bail out America's botched effort to have a pavilion at Shanghai's Expo 2010, the largest world's fair in history. There are reasons to hope that "yes, he can."READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
With Obama's new New Deal gaining momentum, let's remain skeptical of big projects that are touted as economic saviors. States like ours may be desperate, but a boondoggle is still a boondoggle.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
Two cases link the suburban city with Hitler and the holocaust.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A coalition of environmental groups just won a court decision, blocking Shell from drilling exploration wells in the Beaufort Sea. The ruling bears on the impacts of noise on bowhead whales.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
In the election hoopla and cabinet-post-planning speculation, one recently vacated office seems to be going largely unnoticed: the NEA chairmanship.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Christine Gregoire and others will have to shift their rhetoric after Minnesota disaster reportREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
The only thing keeping it from succeeding here are the myths propagated by foes, says this economics journalist. Here's a line-by-line debunking.READ MORE 81 COMMENTS
Two local luminaries join a forum proposing ways to turn around the Bush administration's neglect of the nation's technological competitiveness.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Jobless Rate Below 6%
The United States' jobless rate fell to 5.9%, it's lowest since 2008.
Attorney general Eric Holder to resign
The Justice Department announced on Thursday that Attorney General Holder will remain in office until a successor is confirmed.
Forest Service blocks media cameras throughout nation's wilderness areas
Under a proposed rule that is already being enforced temporarily, the media will need to pay up to $1,500 just to take an iPhone photo or conduct an interview inside a wilderness area.
Justice Dept. to investigate Ferguson police
The U.S. Justice Department plans to open a civil rights investigation of police officers in Ferguson and St. Louis County. This will be a broader, second investigation in addition to the other probe already underway of Officer Darren Wilson, who is suspected of shooting unarmed teenager Michael Brown on Aug. 9.
- Seattle City Light's little nuclear share
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Jay Inslee cautions JBLM cuts. Health insurance, take 2. Amazon acquires Twitch.
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- The Daily Troll: 3 bodies recovered on Rainier. Hanford whistleblower wins. Dollars per vote in parks campaign.
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown