The errors are not serious, though the Hillary Clinton conflicts with Bill's donors could make problems at State. These blips underscore how difficult it is to shift from campaigning smartly to governing well.READ MORE 10 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
- Microsoft and the Smartphone Problem
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- A big hole in NW diversity
- How useful is Bell Street Park, actually?
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1
Many thanks to Kirk Starr and Deanna Zachrisson some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (54)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (34)
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (41)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- Why to vote no on Prop 1's metropolitan parks district (22)
- A big hole in NW diversity (18)
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District (18)
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity. (12)
- How useful is Bell Street Park, actually? (17)
- Hitting and killing a cyclist? That'll be $175 (129)
Some think the time is ripe to revive a New Deal program that put writers to work for the public good. Others say that's what bloggers are already doing.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
The state has only had three cabinet posts in its history, a distinct underperformance. But consider one forgotten success story involving former mayor Dorm BramanREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
Lacking top figures in the Obama administration from the region, area environmentalists are linking forest and salmon issues to a cause Obama understands better: climate change.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Another task Obama inherits is trying to bail out America's botched effort to have a pavilion at Shanghai's Expo 2010, the largest world's fair in history. There are reasons to hope that "yes, he can."READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
With Obama's new New Deal gaining momentum, let's remain skeptical of big projects that are touted as economic saviors. States like ours may be desperate, but a boondoggle is still a boondoggle.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
Two cases link the suburban city with Hitler and the holocaust.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A coalition of environmental groups just won a court decision, blocking Shell from drilling exploration wells in the Beaufort Sea. The ruling bears on the impacts of noise on bowhead whales.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
In the election hoopla and cabinet-post-planning speculation, one recently vacated office seems to be going largely unnoticed: the NEA chairmanship.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Christine Gregoire and others will have to shift their rhetoric after Minnesota disaster reportREAD MORE COMMENT NOW
The only thing keeping it from succeeding here are the myths propagated by foes, says this economics journalist. Here's a line-by-line debunking.READ MORE 81 COMMENTS
Two local luminaries join a forum proposing ways to turn around the Bush administration's neglect of the nation's technological competitiveness.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Let's not forget the Department of Homeland Security during these trying times.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The strange link between looting Indian artifacts and methamphetamine users.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Obama gives protection to gay and transgender workers
President Obama gave protection to gay and transgender workers in the federal government on Monday.
JBLM may cut 16,000 soldiers
A new army report released Thursday outlines potential cuts at Joint Base Lewis-McChord that could result in a worst-case scenario of 16,000 fewer soldiers and a $17.4 million loss in tax income for Pierce and Thurston Counties.
Obama sends 300 military advisers to Iraq
President Obama announced today he is shipping 300 military advisers to Iraq to help the government in its battle against insurgents. Although the advisers aren’t combat troops, CNN analysts say it could be the first step towards broader military engagement.
- Should we build new nuclear reactors in Washington?
- State, feds square off over Hanford
- State calls Hanford cleanup delays a 'violation' of consent decree
- The Daily Troll: Perkins Coie raids Obama's cabinet. Mariners' questionable new management.
- The Daily Troll: Garfield bans 11 students. Treating mental health. I-90 toll anxiety.
- The bomb and the explosion of U.S. suburbs
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The Daily Troll: Berry workers pick up a court win. JBLM cuts could hurt economically. Orca science: Can you hear us?
- Veterans' art: The explosive truth about our American reality
- D-Day: Our heavy losses were small compared to other nations' sufferings
- Bangor nuclear base: The reasons to worry about U.S. nuclear policy
- 'Duty' by Robert Gates: Petulant potshots
- NW Forest Plan: Warfare rages out of the spotlight
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- Elwha dams: Will bringing down NW dams really help salmon?
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- Shutdown, snow loom over national parks in NW
- Is Mount Rainier too white?
- The Daily Troll: Vote flip gives GOP lead in key state Senate race, UW in tweet crackdown
- Whale-watching boats: no 'room' for the orcas