Some Cheerios with those fractions, kids? Hanford's costly safety neglect. Inspiration for your Super Bowl party.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Why Mars Hill was the perfect incubator for questionable naturopathy
- The Daily Troll: Gay principal files suit. Issaquah's embarrassing student racism. Washington Dem turns GOP.
- Both sides agree: Seattle rideshare rules 'a mess'
- The Seattle photographer upending online education
- Why KUOW cut programming to build listenership
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash?
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet
- The Legislature's e-cigarette tax showdown
- Mark Penn's questionable road to Microsoft's Chief of Strategy
- Meet the Writers: Mapping Seattle's New Political Landscape
Many thanks to Irene Svete and Ana Mari Cauce some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet (13)
- Both sides agree: Seattle rideshare rules 'a mess' (20)
- Lawmakers move toward setting education fixes in stone (31)
- Why KUOW cut programming to build listenership (46)
- Seattle Public Schools' maddening 'Blank Stare of Bureaucracy' (27)
- Seattle's Police Chief search: Smooth sailing ahead (16)
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash? (10)
- Why Mars Hill was the perfect incubator for questionable naturopathy (28)
- We can all get along: Bikers and drivers learn to share the road (19)
- Bertha's chronically late, but at least her checkbook's balanced (6)
Whistleblower gets pink slip at Hanford.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
How Hanford's nuclear role spawned a suburban 'plutopia' that mirrored a secret Russian city.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Memos show state Ecology officials are frustrated with federal Energy Department denials and delays on providing information.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
As Hanford tanks keep leaking and nuclear sites keep generating radioactive waste, scientists keep wondering where to stash it.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Radiation escape at Hanford. Big interest in taking over Egyptian Theatre. Tuesday at Seattle Art Museum? No more.
Some hospital CEO salaries top $1 million. Guilty plea in notorious Highway 520 DUI case.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Leniency for immigrants' minor crimes. Let Microsoft's people go. A glowing national park?
The fish are looking good at Ballard locks. Softball to help homeless. And Seattle bike scene goes National (Public Radio).READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Inslee angry about new federal delays on Hanford nuclear cleanup. Traffic: You really thinking you're going to Portland?READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Lawmakers stand for vets. Jewell nomination gets good vote. Seattle's Downton addiction.
A new idea for Hanford clean-up. Nothing to do on Sunday, Seattle? Well, how about a little "Downton Abbey"? Or a lot.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
For the governor, newly-leaking tanks of radioactive waste made a trip to Eastern Washington the biggest thing on his agenda this week.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Gov. Jay Inslee sees an out-of-state shipping arrangement as way to ease waste problems at troubled nuclear reservation.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
A new letter details layoffs and furloughs for workers at the heavily polluted nuclear storage facility.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The governor hopes to make significant progress on education this year, in part with money from closing unproductive tax exemptions. But hard-to-control factors are in play.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
A half-dozen tanks are leaking radioactive wastes and the feds are looking for more. With the federal budget fight looming, the governor worries about a loss of focus on the cleanup.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
WA fines DOE for violating regulations at Hanford
Washington state identified violations of its regulations for handling dangerous waste during an inspection at Hanford back in 2011 and 2012. In a settlement, the Department of Energy agreed to pay a $15,000 fine and improve its waste management practices.
Hanford undertakes one of its biggest cleanup jobs
A massive underground test reactor has been pulled up for transport — on a truck with 384 wheels to distribute the heavy load. The truck will be driven at 1 mph.
- Can Legislature create stronger regulations for medical marijuana?
- Don't look now: Big Brothers are watching
- Supreme Disappointment: The creeping ease of voter discrimination
- State digs into conflicts over marijuana rules
- Marijuana rules: Some heavy stuff put out for public comment
- The Daily Troll: NBA will break some hearts. A win for south King Co. Feds go after fake Chihuly case.
- 'Duty' by Robert Gates: Petulant potshots
- $15 or Less: Two Beer's new beers. Pet Rocks show 'n tell. Noir Puppets.
- Daily Troll: Msft hearts Nokia. New Health Exchange call center. City Council talks taxi survey.
- Secret: Site of state's first July 4 celebration is locked away
- About face: Addressing the tragic irony of military suicide
- Memorial Day: Survivor recalls daring Doolittle Raid
- Can paint guns & slingshots deliver us from mountain goats?
- The Daily Troll: WA's top schools. 'Seattle nice' meets bicycles. The next Mt. St. Helens.
- Forest fires: Let 'em burn?
- Winners and losers: Romney is Etch-ed; Newt gets sensitive; sympathy for the sergeant in Afghan case
- Review: Leopold film revitalizes land ethics for a new generation
- Sounding the alarm for Tacoma's City Hall and our own Alcatraz