The foster care system can be an on-ramp to homelessness, a trend new programs in Washington are trying to reverse.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Remembering Paul Schell
- Parks and Proposition 1: Oh, how to vote?
- Why the parks district vote has become a referendum on trust
- The Daily Troll: Frank Chopp's challenger arrested. Pot cop busted. Trouble in apple country.
- Viral Video: Mars Hill in its own words
- Paul Schell's sudden death leaves Whidbey heartbroken
- Seattle's weed farmers market may face $80,000+ in fines
- Can a Socialist unseat the powerful Democratic Speaker of the House?
- Protesters stall an oil train for hours at Anacortes
Many thanks to Furman & Susan Moseley and Nancy & Richard Ford some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Why the parks district vote has become a referendum on trust (54)
- Parks and Proposition 1: Oh, how to vote? (36)
- What $189 speeding tickets can buy (16)
- Will Seattle's parks initiative make us happier? (15)
- Can a Socialist unseat the powerful Democratic Speaker of the House? (14)
- Remembering Paul Schell (13)
- The missing angle in the Hobby Lobby debate (12)
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (37)
- The Daily Troll: Frank Chopp's challenger arrested. Pot cop busted. Trouble in apple country. (8)
- Inslee to lay out ideas for cap-and-trade, carbon tax (6)
Big-time players passed on a stellar housing project because it was too small. But creating a consortium out of friendships and civic goodwill, Plymouth Healing Communities got it done.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Why Bill Hobson, a veteran provider of homeless services, advocates tying housing to vulnerability.READ MORE 14 COMMENTS
Families in crisis used to be called their kid’s biggest problem. New approaches make them part of the solution.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Journalism by itself can't launch a movement. But it sure can plant the seeds. Join Crosscut. Cultivate change.READ MORE
King County's new homeless youth Initiative puts a premium on organizing providers, bundling services and personalizing delivery for a youthful clientele.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
New programs in Washington connect foster youth with adults who help them build financial independence and a place in the community.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Community leaders and panelists discuss amending the state Constitution to establish family courts statewide.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
A new model creates extended foster families that care for the adults who are caring for the kids.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Research shows that kids who stay with family are far more likely to lead normal, healthy lives.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
A report from our newsroom on a new "quest" to explore Washington's foster care system.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Moving at-risk kids into foster care compounds the hurt. A new approach gives families the support they need to remain intact.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
One panel of experts has spent nine years overseeing foster care fixes. How far have they come?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
A panel of media experts and public citizens ruled the Times unfairly portrayed a forensic psychologist in a series last winter.READ MORE 24 COMMENTS
As part of Crosscut’s coverage of social concerns, Judy Lightfoot writes about how the region's people face challenges in a time of economic stress and diminished expectations. She often draws on her weekly one-on-one coffees with individuals sharing our public spaces who are socially isolated by homelessness or mental illness. Formerly a teacher and professor, she also writes about books, education, and the arts. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories by Judy Lightfoot, click here.