The foster care system can be an on-ramp to homelessness, a trend new programs in Washington are trying to reverse.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
- Could BP turn Bellingham into a Northwest oil export capital?
- Control of Olympia: It's a primary free-for-all
- A big hole in NW diversity
- Microsoft and the Smartphone Problem
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately?
Many thanks to George Lowe and Ann Mulvey some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (24)
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (44)
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (57)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap (25)
- A big hole in NW diversity (19)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (38)
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately? (12)
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District (18)
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity. (12)
Big-time players passed on a stellar housing project because it was too small. But creating a consortium out of friendships and civic goodwill, Plymouth Healing Communities got it done.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Why Bill Hobson, a veteran provider of homeless services, advocates tying housing to vulnerability.READ MORE 13 COMMENTS
Families in crisis used to be called their kid’s biggest problem. New approaches make them part of the solution.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Journalism by itself can't launch a movement. But it sure can plant the seeds. Join Crosscut. Cultivate change.READ MORE
King County's new homeless youth Initiative puts a premium on organizing providers, bundling services and personalizing delivery for a youthful clientele.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
New programs in Washington connect foster youth with adults who help them build financial independence and a place in the community.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Community leaders and panelists discuss amending the state Constitution to establish family courts statewide.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
A new model creates extended foster families that care for the adults who are caring for the kids.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Research shows that kids who stay with family are far more likely to lead normal, healthy lives.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
A report from our newsroom on a new "quest" to explore Washington's foster care system.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Moving at-risk kids into foster care compounds the hurt. A new approach gives families the support they need to remain intact.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
One panel of experts has spent nine years overseeing foster care fixes. How far have they come?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
A panel of media experts and public citizens ruled the Times unfairly portrayed a forensic psychologist in a series last winter.READ MORE 24 COMMENTS
As part of Crosscut’s coverage of social concerns, Judy Lightfoot writes about how the region's people face challenges in a time of economic stress and diminished expectations. She often draws on her weekly one-on-one coffees with individuals sharing our public spaces who are socially isolated by homelessness or mental illness. Formerly a teacher and professor, she also writes about books, education, and the arts. Email email@example.com.
For more stories by Judy Lightfoot, click here.