King County's new homeless youth Initiative puts a premium on organizing providers, bundling services and personalizing delivery for a youthful clientele.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Daily Troll: Gay principal files suit. Issaquah's embarrassing student racism. Washington Dem turns GOP.
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash?
- Why Stadium Place is the best new development in Seattle
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet
- Why Google Fiber will never come to Seattle
- King County transit measure: Nobody’s favorite, but a favorite to win
- Mark Penn's questionable road to Microsoft's Chief of Strategy
- Homeless bill furor has Republican senator looking to Inslee for help
- Legislature, Inslee clash, but to what purpose?
Many thanks to Elizabeth Davis and Deborah Berger some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality (67)
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet (22)
- King County transit measure: Nobody’s favorite, but a favorite to win (33)
- Seattle Public Schools' maddening 'Blank Stare of Bureaucracy' (31)
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash? (15)
- Immigration activist Pramila Jayapal to run for state Senate (10)
- Real state support for schools: A roadmap (8)
- Legislature, Inslee clash, but to what purpose? (9)
- Why Google Fiber will never come to Seattle (47)
- Seattle's Police Chief search: Smooth sailing ahead (17)
New programs in Washington connect foster youth with adults who help them build financial independence and a place in the community.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Community leaders and panelists discuss amending the state Constitution to establish family courts statewide.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
A new model creates extended foster families that care for the adults who are caring for the kids.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Research shows that kids who stay with family are far more likely to lead normal, healthy lives.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
A report from our newsroom on a new "quest" to explore Washington's foster care system.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Moving at-risk kids into foster care compounds the hurt. A new approach gives families the support they need to remain intact.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
One panel of experts has spent nine years overseeing foster care fixes. How far have they come?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
A panel of media experts and public citizens ruled the Times unfairly portrayed a forensic psychologist in a series last winter.READ MORE 24 COMMENTS
You play an essential part in shaping and strengthening our ideas and reporting. Crosscut needs 412 new or renewing members by 4/12.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Recession woes, funding cuts and Congressional budget fights underscored a recurrent theme at the National Alliance to End Homelessness conference in Seattle last week: Doing More With Less.READ MORE 13 COMMENTS
Unaffordable rents, says a new national report, keep many Americans homeless. Some who are living in their cars at a rest stop off a major highway attest to the challenges.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Despite a high population of at-risk youth, there's one thing a pilot group of students at Tacoma's McCarver Elementary don't have to worry about: Where they'll sleep at night.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
The four organizations receiving the Allen Foundation’s first annual Creative Leadership Awards reflect five basic leadership principles.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
As part of Crosscut’s coverage of social concerns, Judy Lightfoot writes about how the region's people face challenges in a time of economic stress and diminished expectations. She often draws on her weekly one-on-one coffees with individuals sharing our public spaces who are socially isolated by homelessness or mental illness. Formerly a teacher and professor, she also writes about books, education, and the arts. Email email@example.com.
For more stories by Judy Lightfoot, click here.