In Ferguson, Mo. police used military equipment in response to protestors. Washington law enforcement agencies have some of the same gear.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Seattle's dizzying change? Get used to it
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Bertha: Wasting money while the Viaduct risks grow?
- Primary tallies spell trouble for Democrats
- New city transportation head: Can he match the city's goals with its resources?
- The puzzling state of Washington's economy
- Councilmember Mike O'Brien jumps into micro-housing fight
- Seattle City Light's little nuclear share
- Tired of growth? Be careful what you wish for
- The Daily Troll: Microhousing gets a setback. A pitch for housing families. Bill Gates ices himself for Lou Gehrig's disease.
Many thanks to Jonathan Fine and Ashley Clark and Chris Manojlovic some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Bertha: Wasting money while the Viaduct risks grow? (28)
- New city transportation head: Can he match the city's goals with its resources? (33)
- Seattle's dizzying change? Get used to it (23)
- Primary tallies spell trouble for Democrats (19)
- Seattle City Light's little nuclear share (13)
- Kshama Sawant’s anti-Israel campaign (48)
- Want to change international climate change policy? Use your body. (9)
- The puzzling state of Washington's economy (8)
- Tired of growth? Be careful what you wish for (40)
- The Daily Troll: Microhousing gets a setback. A pitch for housing families. Bill Gates ices himself for Lou Gehrig's disease. (11)
Law and Justice
Former Interim Seattle Chief Jim Pugel, shoved aside by Mayor Ed Murray, comes out of retirement to take a position with King County.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
One Boeing union has complained about older workers ending up on the short end of layoffs. And more layoffs lie ahead.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Tim Sheldon gaining in key Senate vote count.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: FBI searches for missing girl. What state smokes most pot? Sheldon gains some votes.
Who's alarmed by a topless woman on a bike?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The Daily Troll: MSFT gender discrimination? 8 p.m parking meters spread. Police reconsider the chokehold.
Plus, meet the California billionaire trying to buy Washington's compliance with Inslee's climate initiatives. Steve Ballmer talks Clippers. Relay for Life's main man passes away in Tacoma.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
In seeking special exemptions, religious groups are ignoring a time-honored way to stay true to their consciences.READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: Going fast in a school zone is a no-no. But when the fine hits $189 (for doing 26 mph!) you have to wonder where exactly that money is going?READ MORE 18 COMMENTS
A planned experiment is on hold, and a state legal opinion that could offer guidance has yet to be issued.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The court will monitor foster care reform until the state meets all the requirements from the '98 Braam v. Washington suit.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Amidst a crush of reporters, a crowd waited to be a part of an historic day.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Plus Seattle's city attorney turns out to buy weed - legally.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Retail sales begin Tuesday but there's more to know to stay on the right side of state law.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
The mayor looks for neighbors to tell the city what they need to build safe communities.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: It's common sense to require the same background checks on all gun sales. And I-594 builds on our existing background check system to match states where far fewer women are shot by their partners.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Tacoma gathers to support the people of Ferguson
According to the News Tribune, more than 100 people came together in Tacoma yesterday, to protest and demonstrate support for the people of Ferguson.
Trayvon Martin's mom pens a letter to the Brown family
The mother of Trayvon Martin published a letter in Time Magazine on Monday, sending support to the Brown family and speaking out against gun violence in the U.S.
The Ferguson shooting reconstructed
A look at the interaction between a young officer from a difficult family background and a young man with a quiet way and an uncertain future.
How to do everything wrong: The Ferguson police
An expert looks at what he sees: Immoral, the opposite of what every police manual teaches, tactics you'd see in China, Kosovo or some place where government thinks it can get away with anything.
Police in Ferguson repeat the mistakes EU cops used to make with soccer crowds
When you treat everyone in a crowd like a hooligan, guess what: The crowd turns against you.
Seattle's former police chief responds to Ferguson
Norman Stamper was the chief of police in Seattle during the infamous 1999 anti-WTO protests. In an interview with Vox's Amanda Taub , Stamper reflects on lessons learned and responds to the latest events in Ferguson.
What's going on in Ferguson?
New York Times reporter Julie Bosman reviews the events that led to the current standoff in Ferguson, Missouri.
Policing in St. Louis: An account of an arrest for ... nothing
A Washington Post reporter tells how police took him and a colleague into custody for sitting in a restaurant.
Cop kills black teen, riot erupts in St. Louis
A community is outraged after a police officer shot and killed a teenager in a suburb near St. Louis.
Teen suspected of killing 6-year-old in court
The 17-year old boy who police suspect killed Jenise Wright will appear in court on Monday.
- How useful is Bell Street Park, actually?
- The Daily Troll: Pot rush is on. Boeing fuselages rescued. Cow rampages Mount Vernon.
- Your burning questions answered about retail pot
- Prosecutors' view: Why we need I-594 to promote gun safety
- Armed and mentally ill
- Ed Murray promises a 'summer of safety' in Seattle
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The power of one little story among 11.7 million undocumented immigrants
- $15 per hour: How's that going to work for you, Seattle?
- How Tacoma's immigration protest spawned a national fight
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians
- Hispanic children face big challenges in Washington