Guest Opinion: With Gov. Jay Inslee’s recent decision to halt executions, an issue that has gripped public defenders for decades is finally getting the public attention it deserves.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Daily Troll: Gay principal files suit. Issaquah's embarrassing student racism. Washington Dem turns GOP.
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash?
- Why Stadium Place is the best new development in Seattle
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet
- Why Google Fiber will never come to Seattle
- King County transit measure: Nobody’s favorite, but a favorite to win
- Mark Penn's questionable road to Microsoft's Chief of Strategy
- Homeless bill furor has Republican senator looking to Inslee for help
- Legislature, Inslee clash, but to what purpose?
Many thanks to Elaine Spencer and James Minorchio some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality (67)
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet (22)
- King County transit measure: Nobody’s favorite, but a favorite to win (33)
- Seattle Public Schools' maddening 'Blank Stare of Bureaucracy' (31)
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash? (15)
- Immigration activist Pramila Jayapal to run for state Senate (10)
- Real state support for schools: A roadmap (8)
- Legislature, Inslee clash, but to what purpose? (9)
- Why Google Fiber will never come to Seattle (47)
- Seattle's Police Chief search: Smooth sailing ahead (17)
Law and Justice
Past reform efforts have been marred by hesitancy and political infighting. How we've moved on.READ MORE 17 COMMENTS
After days of controversy surrounding disciplinary decisions by his interim police chief, Mayor Ed Murray initiates a review of the department's process for handling complaints.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Commentary: Defense of his police chief's meddling rings false. Try again, dear Mayor.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
The governor is creating a distraction and acting beyond his powers, his critics charge.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Gov. Jay Inslee will block any executions while he's in office. But is the Legislature willing to look at a bigger decision?READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The ACLU gives a nod of approval for a policy that would let cops compare images of suspects to a database of booking photos.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
More money aimed at complying with a state Supreme Court ruling would go to pre-school and college improvements.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
As policies take shape, reformers consider how to take what's on paper and put it into practice.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
With officers responding to 36 break-in calls in January, Mount Baker's rash of burglaries is the top priority for the Seattle Police Department's South Precinct.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Windows of businesses and on the historic pergola were broken, as some in the crowd threw bottles at police.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
The federally mandated police reform process looms large as interim chief Harry Bailey makes staffing and structural changes.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Once again, Washington lawmakers will take up legislation to seal certain juvenile records. Will the third time be the charm?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Councilmember Bruce Harrell says legislation based on some of the civilian auditor's recommendations for the city's police force could be proposed later this year.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Murray, Cantwell defend birth control. Lynch goes Talk Mode, briefly. Giffords talks gun control.
Gov. Inslee pushes tax breaks to pay for better schools. A police officer makes a deal to escape prosecution.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Senate Intelligence Committee accuses CIA of misconduct
A public accusation was made against the CIA for searching the Senate computer system, which Sen. Dianne Feinstein claims is in violation of the law.
Officials call for more transparency in "twilight zone" of police appeals processes
As local officials untangle complicated police misconduct investigation processes, calls for more transparency grow louder.
David Brooks: America's gulag uses isolation to inflict cruelty
Fortunately, society shows signs of waking up to the reality that social pain is the same as physical pain from beatings, floggings and the like.
WA Legislature says human traffickers must register as sex offenders
While House Bill 1791 awaits approval by Gov. Jay Inslee, its passage would make Washington the first state to "designate the crime of human trafficking in the first degree as a sex offense."
Greenwood murder suspect to appear in court today
Police expect seventeen year old Byron White, suspect in the murder of David Peterson, to be charged as an adult.
Arrest made in December West Seattle killing
"Seattle police arrested a 20-year-old man Saturday in the December killing of a 46-year-old woman in her West Seattle home."
Washington Supreme Court rules in favor of cell phone privacy
In parallel 5-4 decisions, state justices protect the privacy of text messages.
First woman elected to be San Diego police chief
Mayor-elect Kevin Faulconer chose assistant chief Shelley Zimmerman, who has been with the department 31 years, to succeed retiring Chief Bill Lansdowne.
Arizona anti-gay bill vetoed
Arizona governor, Jan Brewer, vetoed the Republican Senate Bill 1062, which would have caused widespread civil disturbance and state division.
Anti-abortion arsonist arrested on child-molestation charge
Curtis Beseda, who received a 20-year term for burning clinics in Everett and Bellingham, is accused of groping an 11-year-old girl at a Fred Meyer store in Snohomish.
- The death penalty: Arbitrary and deeply flawed
- SPD is marrying mug shots with high tech
- Seattle police reform: Finally moving briskly in the right direction
- Police stinkeye South Seattle's sweeping burglary wave
- Late night Super Bowl celebration turns ugly in Pioneer Square
- Leadership in flux at the Seattle Police Department
- State Legislature approves DREAM Act for immigrants' children
- Largely bipartisan vote in Senate supports help for immigrants' children
- Legislature finally finds a measure to agree on
- A lesson in Thanksgiving of a different kind
- The Daily Troll: New state senator. Giving Tuesday. Ramping up Border Patrol in Friday Harbor?
- Labor trafficking? Immigration reform's the thing
- The Daily Troll: Macklemore for rideshare. Alaska Airline steps up for diversity. One Senator's quest for cheaper booze.
- To seal or not to seal: WA's battle over juvenile records
- A champion of justice for all
- Murray's big tent solution for the $15 minimum wage fight
- Misfire: the NRA's poorly aimed marketing campaign
- A cabbie and two gay brides walk into a bar