Community leaders and panelists discuss amending the state Constitution to establish family courts statewide.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Meet the Districts
- A towering controversy in the Rainier Valley
- Council moves toward yanking weekly trash service
- The many, the well paid, the Murray hires
- Climate panel heats up. Result: frozen in place.
- Best Places guidebook, R.I.P.
- Murray announces barrage of new hires
- The Daily Troll: Patty Murray delivers on budget. Bike plan to get comments spinning. Inslee submits Boeing bid.
- Fred Bassetti's legacy: Modernism that feels good to the human hand
- The Daily Troll: Microsoft wants NSA rules. Bertha stuck. $15 wage recount results.
Many thanks to Steven Bowles and Victor Bremson some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Climate panel heats up. Result: frozen in place. (47)
- One-track mind: the return of the monorail (85)
- The many, the well paid, the Murray hires (19)
- City deicer error blamed for West Seattle Bridge mess (13)
- Council moves toward yanking weekly trash service (16)
- Pearl Harbor Day: 'We're at war against my relatives' (13)
- A towering controversy in the Rainier Valley (38)
- The Daily Troll: Patty Murray delivers on budget. Bike plan to get comments spinning. Inslee submits Boeing bid. (11)
- Fred Bassetti's legacy: Modernism that feels good to the human hand (9)
- Meet the Districts (12)
Law and Justice
Guest Opinion: Other cities worked with the DOJ to reform their police departments. The mayor-elect should draw on their experiences as he searches for a new SPD chief.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The police managers union says a council-led effort to allow the chief of police to hire assistant and deputy chiefs from elsewhere should move to the bargaining table.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
To make Seattle more attractive to police chief candidates, a City Council committee is discussing whether to change rules that require high-level posts to be filled from within the department.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Like any good chess nut, Attorney General Bob Ferguson is comfortable taking "calculated" risks. Will one of those risks be running for governor?READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Amid threats of snipers and explosives, the Seattle Police Department cleared squatters out of the Central District's Horace Mann school building Tuesday.READ MORE 10 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Domestic terrorism in Medford. Boehner says no 2013 deal on immigration. Ferry system takes blame.
A new leader at Philanthropy Northwest. Waiting on the Boeing vote?READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
A victim herself, Starcia overcame immense odds to advocate for kids in the juvenile justice system.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Coastal climate solution? The unspoken costs of more cops. How much was that text from the drivers seat worth to you?
Inquest ordered in fatal shooting by SWAT team.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
How attentive postal workers and old-school police work brought down one of Puget Sound’s top online drug dealers.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
A bill stuck in the Legislature could make a difference for young people when they are most alone and in need.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Media coverage of Gary Ridgway's recent overtures from Walla Walla misses the point: Why he was able to get away with it for so long. His victims deserve more.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: Washington state's justice system provides less justice and more penalty to those who aren't as lily-white as its juries.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Monsanto wants to help with GMO debate. Change at the Gates Foundation. Lots more riders for light rail.
Spokane police are really tracking those license plates diligently.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Updated: A Republican committee chair takes issus with Democratic descriptions of what will be presented at a hearing Wednesday.READ MORE 30 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Now Facebook tells us: Privacy is good
The big tech corporations are crying foul over government surveillance because it threatens their profits, not because of any love for the privacy they keep undermining.
New captain ready to walk the hill
There's been some turnover in the West precinct, and it's left a new Captain in change. He's put more people out on foot patrol, and will be following up with more improvements.
State's handgun database lags way beyond sales
The backlog of handgun ownership records is huge -- and growing.
Panel gives strong support to sobriety checkpoints
The recommendation by a state panel comes despite a finding that they are unconstitutional under the Washington Constitution.
Activist: Seattle police demotions tied to race
The Rev. Harriett Walden denounced interim Seattle Police Chief Jim Pugel's demotion of former Assistant Chief Nick Metz, calling the move a suggestion that “the problem is the black guy.”
Oregon's senators want to reform secret federal surveillance court
An in-depth look at a court that Sen. Wyden says started with good intentions but has run amok because of changes in federal law.
SPD Assistant Chief agrees to voluntary demotion
In a move some are calling a sign of a bigger shakeup yet to come, assistant SPD chief Dick Reed agreed to become a captain in the department that faced even more DOJ criticism earlier this month.
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms Supervisor embezzled from informant fund
A former Seattle ATF supervisor was convicted of embezzling money from a fund for confidential informants. Brings me back to the good old days of The Wire...
George Zimmerman investigated in new disturbance incident
A Florida sheriff's office said he will be booked into the county jail in the latest brush with the law since he was acquitted of the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
Sweden closes prisons as inmate numbers plummet
As fines and community service replace prison time for drug-related offenses, Sweden is closing its prisons.
- What Ed Murray should know before hiring a new top cop
- Police managers push back on plan to open top jobs to outsiders
- The Daily Troll: New state senator. Giving Tuesday. Ramping up Border Patrol in Friday Harbor?
- The Daily Troll: Thanks for nothing, Canada. Mayoral money games. American cycling through Dutch eyes.
- Young, poetic and in jail
- The Daily Troll: Violate our government shutdown? Take this ticket. Different ways to tackle guns. Street lounges on 3rd Ave.