The court will monitor foster care reform until the state meets all the requirements from the '98 Braam v. Washington suit.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- Microsoft and the Smartphone Problem
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District
- A big hole in NW diversity
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar
- Could BP turn Bellingham into a Northwest oil export capital?
Many thanks to John Backes and Leslie Redd some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (54)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (36)
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (41)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- A big hole in NW diversity (18)
- Why to vote no on Prop 1's metropolitan parks district (22)
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District (18)
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity. (12)
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap (14)
- How useful is Bell Street Park, actually? (17)
Law and Justice
Amidst a crush of reporters, a crowd waited to be a part of an historic day.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Plus Seattle's city attorney turns out to buy weed - legally.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Retail sales begin Tuesday but there's more to know to stay on the right side of state law.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
The mayor looks for neighbors to tell the city what they need to build safe communities.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: It's common sense to require the same background checks on all gun sales. And I-594 builds on our existing background check system to match states where far fewer women are shot by their partners.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
The young, gifted hacktivist mined secret data for the public good - until he was driven to suicide.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: World Cup lifts a Seattle alley. State justices review airport workers' wages, hospital's mental health holds.
The Supreme Court holds oral arguments on two big cases.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Taking advantage of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, a number of states have rushed to create new restrictions, particularly through voter ID laws. But there are ways to respect rights better.READ MORE 11 COMMENTS
The mayor says the city will tackle neighborhood nuisances, help police connect with communities and expand services for young people.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The last confirmation hurdle is the full council vote on June 23.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Neighborhoods in southeast Seattle can be tough. But people are looking at ways to make things better for themselves and those around them.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
In Seattle's South Precinct, gang violence and drive-by shootings live cheek-to-cheek with grit, fierce community and a sense of hope.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
The condition of a woman who was critically wounded in Thursday's Seattle Pacific University shooting is improving. SPD releases details about the suspect's statements.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Seattle police snare man who escaped series of sex charges in Pierce County
The 56-year-old man is charged with propositioning a detective posing as a 15-year-old girl and sending photos of a home "dungeon" he hoped to use with her.
Pot tourism's best destination? It's looking like Barcelona
Amsterdam's clubs are earning a bad rep on the quality of their offerings, leading many tourists to Spain.
UN seeks refugee status for undocumented kids fleeing to US
UN officials want the thousands of children migrants flooding into the US to be classified as refugees. While the UN resolution wouldn't have legal teeth in the US, the hope is that it will ratchet up pressure on the American and Mexican governments to accept children seeking asylum.
Seattle police officer accused of child molestation
A police officer was arrested Monday on suspicion of child molestation.
Ex-boyfriend: Amanda Knox's story is 'hallucination'
But he says the evidence against her doesn't have much strength.
Court's Hobby Lobby decision deftly balances rights
If there's a flood of phony litigation from corporations, the decision sets up the legal precedents for swatting down the lawsuits.
Ex-boyfriend may turn on Amanda Knox
His attorneys say he may change his testimony about being with her on the night of Meredith Kercher's death.
Seattle police officer under criminal investigation
The Seattle Police Department is investigating an officer after a patrol-car video suggested he used excessive force when handcuffing a woman.
Supreme Court rejects buffer zone around abortion clinics
Supreme Court unanimously struck down a Massachusetts law on Thursday that barred protests around abortion clinics.
Death penalty upheld in Wash. Supreme Court
The state Supreme Court unanimously ruled to uphold the death sentence of Dayva Cross, a man convicted of murdering his wife and two daughters in 1996 — despite the fact that there is currently a moratorium on the death penalty issued by Govenor Jay Inslee.
- How useful is Bell Street Park, actually?
- The Daily Troll: Pot rush is on. Boeing fuselages rescued. Cow rampages Mount Vernon.
- Your burning questions answered about retail pot
- Prosecutors' view: Why we need I-594 to promote gun safety
- Armed and mentally ill
- Ed Murray promises a 'summer of safety' in Seattle
- The Daily Troll: Meet Microsoft's 'transformation.' JBLM: Child refugee home? Patty Murray takes birth control lead.
- The power of one little story among 11.7 million undocumented immigrants
- $15 per hour: How's that going to work for you, Seattle?
- How Tacoma's immigration protest spawned a national fight
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians
- Hispanic children face big challenges in Washington