For Western Washington immigrants, Federal Way's Radio Hankook is a cultural extension cord to the mother country.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
- Could BP turn Bellingham into a Northwest oil export capital?
- A big hole in NW diversity
- Microsoft and the Smartphone Problem
- Control of Olympia: It's a primary free-for-all
- The Daily Troll: Wildfires destroy close to 100 homes. Seattle picks Marysville retiree as interim school superintendent. China's online giant looking at Seattle.
Many thanks to Sam & Josie Roskin and Kristin Kennell some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (43)
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (23)
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (57)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- A big hole in NW diversity (19)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (37)
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap (25)
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately? (12)
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District (18)
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity. (12)
Why would the popular public radio host suddenly pull his own plug? The answers say a lot about news, media and public broadcasting.READ MORE 51 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: We can no longer ignore the role of our media-obsessed culture in shaping the attitudes of vulnerable young men toward crime.READ MORE 11 COMMENTS
There are 11.7 million undocumented immigrants living in the U.S. A recent Danny Westneat column shows the power of just one.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
The Super Bowl champs get their day at the White House.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Guest Opinion: The dismissal of The New York Times' editor raises worrisome questions about media and pay issues in Seattle and the country.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Like the late, great South African leader, he reached out to his oppressors and engaged them in his quest to protect tribal rights to harvest salmon.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
An incubator for the Northwest's best ideas, tackling one of our region's biggest problems: Can we save ourselves from a tech backlash?READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
"Changing the world, one video at a time." Seriously?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Two Washington lawmakers support anti-fed rancher in Nevada. Portland flushes 38 million gallons of water.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
The "Beavis and Butt-Head" creator takes satirical aim at the center of the techniverse in his new HBO series.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Hilarious and scathing, the award-winning Comedy Central duo takes aim at everyone and everything.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The 2014 state Legislature failed to provide the money for new equipment to buy new cameras to maintain full coverage.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Where Senator Mitch McConnell's latest campaign ad will inspire you to do some #Mcconnelling.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
His work stands as an inspiration to anyone aspiring to the public service of great journalism.READ MORE 10 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
David Boardman: It's time for newspapers to give up on the print daily
Why a weekly edition is more in line with reality, revenues and real reading habits.
Understanding humor: 'New Yorker' cartoonist dishes on book
Bob Mankoff, the magazine's cartoon editor, talks to Seattle-based writer Robin Lindley about the enduring power of cartooning.
Can a new editor help The Oregonian?
The competition is growing -- from public broadcasting to a Pulitzer Prize-winning weekly -- and the company that owns the paper is ideologically fixated on digital content.
Steve Scher talks to Nicole Brodeur about leaving KUOW
He's careful in his remarks but admits to frustration.
CBC plans big cuts to news programming, staff
The Canadian broadcaster says it's part of a mobile-first strategy. But the cuts could include severe reductions in local TV news.
James Fallows: Is there an 'NPR' paradox?
The loss of Steve Scher in Seattle, one of the most recognizable broadcasters nationally, suggests the future of public radio may not be bright even as its cachet grows.
Egypt court sentences three journalists
Two Al Jazeera journalists have been sentenced to seven years in jail and one to 10 years by an Egyptian court. The charges include aiding the Muslim Brotherhood and reporting false news, but some believe there isn't sufficient evidence for conviction.
Why Nicholas Kristof has fallen for dubious tales
The New York Times' columnist keeps after the human touch, even after falling for apparent exaggerations and fabrications in at least two big cases. What's driving him?
Seattle Times bans offensive NFL team name
The Washington NFL team name will no longer taint the pages of The Seattle Times; at least while sports editor Don Sheldon works at the paper. The announcement comes just one day after a federal trademark board cancelled six trademark registrations owned by the team.
Jean Enersen will drop anchor duties at KING-TV
The award-winning Enersen, the first female local news anchor in the country, will have her last regular broadcast as an anchor on Friday.
- Radio Hankook: The heart of Korea on Washington radio
- Steve Scher's KUOW disappearing act
- The Daily Troll: Obama honors Seahawks. Bridge tolls going up. Dan Lewis signing off.
- How annoying: The risky business of being a pest
- TVW legislative coverage could suffer blackouts
- Viral Video: Jon Stewart returns to "Bullshit Mountain"
- Methow Valley: A commitment to no bad days
- The Daily Troll: New Senate leader. Union's Boeing mistake. More bike lane $$.
- The Daily Troll: Requiem for a baseball owner. Cantwell worries about media consolidation. Spokane mass shooting stats fracas.
- Bezos and the Post: A real relationship?
- Can Bezos help Post climb back into the ring?
- Loss at The Times: "Say it isn’t so, Dave"
- Viral Video: Could digital imaging resurrect Philip Seymour Hoffman's acting career?
- Viral Video: Lance Armstrong fixes a flat (but probably not his rep)
- Viral Video: The Daily DoGooder
- Viral Video: Mike Judge does "Silicon Valley"
- Viral Video: Key and Peele and the Peabody
- Digital Prospector: Bad Lip Reader splices wacky words into NFL mouths