Your donation is tax-deductible and will be doubled, thanks to a matching grant. Plus, a short explanation of Crosscut's mission of "journalism for the public good."READ MORE
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The UX Doctor: Fixing Seattle's new parking meters
- Ramps to Nowhere: Now we're getting Somewhere
- Politics in Washington: Ready for an explosion
- Police discipline: Trying to quell a crisis
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department
- Bellevue and its new mayor: An era of calm and regional influence?
- Seattle's shiny economic future depends on city-owned broadband
- Tunnel: Bertha gets her bearings
- The Daily Troll: Rodney Tom passes on re-election try. $15 initiative filed. Big spending to stop rideshare rules.
- Washington's White River, 8th most endangered in the land
Many thanks to Tom Hyde and Donald Kane some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Fed up with Olympia: Can smaller class sizes make the ballot? (43)
- Paying for city parks: District v. levy (31)
- Bellevue and its new mayor: An era of calm and regional influence? (8)
- The UX Doctor: Fixing Seattle's new parking meters (15)
- Ramps to Nowhere: Now we're getting Somewhere (9)
- Seattle's shiny economic future depends on city-owned broadband (10)
- How to destroy a perfectly good police department (5)
- Tunnel: Bertha gets her bearings (13)
- Washington's White River, 8th most endangered in the land (5)
- Police discipline: Trying to quell a crisis (4)
Today's prize, from a drawing of those who join today, is a $40 gift certificate at Tutta Bella. Please consider joining and helping this fine cause of sustaining quality local journalism.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
But will any of the talk protect the state's college students from more Olympia cuts?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
When "Network" came out in 1976, it was easy to question its portrayal of a cynical, ranting, exploitive future for television news. But Lumet had it ever so right.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Today begins our Spring Membership Drive, and we've got an iPad2, Elliott Bay Books gift certificate, and cool Crosscut t-shirts to nudge you into doing the right thing.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Survey of 150 major U.S. companies also places Microsoft, Boeing, Nordstrom, and Starbucks on 'best' list, but far below Amazon's ranking.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Two of the region's larger papers tried to deliver a bit of their own material on the D.C. drama.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
More power to Paul Allen, for his memoir and for living a life of the mind through his incredible fortune.READ MORE 16 COMMENTS
Amazon makes a "cloud" move that portends bigger battles ahead. Plus, BMW apps for the road, and a way to share the best of the web.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A national report card focused only on a site dealing with financial records, ignoring other ways in which state government is quite open. But was there ever a time when we needed financial information more urgently?READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
The influential conservative columnist, on tour promoting his new book, explains how his study of neuroscience made him more aware that humans are 'hooked in' to one another.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The transportation department realizes the need to let minority and low-income groups know about the upcoming tolls on the floating bridge. But their campaign seems to miss the mark.READ MORE 13 COMMENTS
Councilmember Sally Clark says she remains nervous about the request to voters but believes the added financial support is critical.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
She was delightful, but I later quoted her making a light reference to her weight issues. Her publicist let me know her feelings.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The gay-rights movement started by Seattle's own Dan Savage has spawned more than 10,000 videos viewed 30 million times around the world. It now has its own book, plus an upcoming Town Hall event.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Oso update: landslide death toll rises to 37
Identification of the body has not been released. Seven remain missing.
Boston recognizes one year anniversary of bombing
Survivors will walk to bomb site and take a moment of silence at the time of the attack.
First submarine search for missing MH370
In effort to locate missing Malaysia Airlines flight, Indian Ocean search was cut short due to exceeding depth limit.
Oregonian wins Pulitzer for editorial writing. Post and Guardian share public service prize for NSA stories
Here is the full list from the Pulitizer board.
Colbert to replace retiring Letterman as 'Late Show' host
CBS announced Colbert's takeover of Letterman's post as "Late Show" host and retire "The Colbert Report" in 2015.
Washington News Council, nation's last, will close down May 31
John Hamer: A great run helped a lot of people damaged by media malpractice.
Who will distribute This American Life?
Since separating from Public Radio International, Ira Glass and company are weighing their options, including self-distribution.
Protesters demand evidence for Malaysian flight downfall
Upon announcement that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 plunged into the Indian Ocean, relatives of passengers have been protesting outside the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing.
Oso update: mudslide death toll rises to 14
Saturday's disaster has drawn several emergency reponse resources in hopes to uncover survivors from the Oso landslide. Approximately 176 remain missing.
Malaysian Prime Minister says Flight 370 went down in Indian Ocean
Prime Minister Najib Razak says new data indicates no possibility of survival.
- How annoying: The risky business of being a pest
- TVW legislative coverage could suffer blackouts
- Viral Video: Jon Stewart returns to "Bullshit Mountain"
- The Daily Troll: News helicopter in fatal crash. Ex-Councilmember Jim Compton dies. $15 and the cost of daycare.
- Video: Mayor Ed Murray's response to helicopter crash
- News helicopter crash kills two near Seattle Center
- Methow Valley: A commitment to no bad days
- The Daily Troll: New Senate leader. Union's Boeing mistake. More bike lane $$.
- The Daily Troll: Requiem for a baseball owner. Cantwell worries about media consolidation. Spokane mass shooting stats fracas.
- Bezos and the Post: A real relationship?
- Can Bezos help Post climb back into the ring?
- Loss at The Times: "Say it isn’t so, Dave"