A Hearst investigative series reveals the Boy Scouts to be chainsaw-wielding maniacs, confirming the author's long suspicion that scouting is a fraud.READ MORE 14 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap
- Dazed and confused in Seattle's medical marijuana business
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity.
- Could BP turn Bellingham into a Northwest oil export capital?
- I'm a recovering Mars Hill true believer
- Control of Olympia: It's a primary free-for-all
- A big hole in NW diversity
- Microsoft and the Smartphone Problem
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately?
Many thanks to Josephine Tamayo Murray and Peter Van Oppen some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Tim Eyman: Democrats shouldn't repeat 2010 tax-hike debacle in 2015 (27)
- Seattle may need to pick up more costs on South Lake Union streetcar (44)
- Five ways your medical insurance defines deductible (8)
- Why Seattle's future and its parks are better with yes on Prop 1 (57)
- Facelift for 2nd Avenue's bike death trap (25)
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown (38)
- A big hole in NW diversity (19)
- What have Amazon's drones done for you lately? (12)
- Bellevue abandons affordable housing in shiny Spring District (18)
- The Daily Troll: Leavenworth fire danger balloons. Microsoft's big goodbye. Legislature's (un)popularity. (12)
Driving the interior West from Seattle to Arizona is a demoralizing experience, as hard times bites these hard-bitten towns.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A last minute change in the rules for Oregon forests will be hard to undo, though the environmental lawsuits have already begun.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Once known for resilience, the Northwest now seems baffled as regards an economic strategy for the recession.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
In 2009, two Northwest states are honored with an endangered species: postage stamps.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Is Portland the "beardiest" city in America? Should Prince William shave his new whiskers? And what will the impact of a baby-faced Obama be on facial hair fashion?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Is this the year the Republicans went down for the count?READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
This fast-growing, light-weight poplar is finding a market in a more carbon-conscious forest-products industry.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The gas tax would be phased out and drivers monitored by GPS and subjected to a mileage tax instead.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
An international movement to change the ethic of growing cities seems right for the Northwest. But we'd have to check the boom-town impulses embedded both in our growth economy and our frontier DNA.READ MORE 14 COMMENTS
The pressure for real estate and the short-term perspective of fancy Wall Street financial instruments have changed the old line companies utterly.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
So far, no big catches in the Northwest by the Obama team. But keep an eye on Rep. Adam Smith.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
Our religious impulses toward the wilderness could be boosted by the way our brains work.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The campaign symbol that got away. Plus: tales of ravenous locusts, obese bears, Bigfoot's B.C. invasion, and more animal news.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Two dead in Oregon school shooting
Shots were fired this morning at an Oregon high school east of Portland. The shooter and one student are reportedly dead according to CBS News affiliate, KOIN 6.
- A new loo for Seattle?
- The Oregonian: Going the way of all newspapers?
- The Daily Troll: State lays out shutdown plans. Eco-terror in Oregon. McGinn's generous city employees.
- The Daily Troll: Portland bike envy. Slow burn for marijuana empire. Heroic collaboration to cut violence.
- The Daily Troll: Students protest teacher's transfer. Voters conflicted on transpo. Kirkland leery of bag ban.
- No day of rest for Portland's cheapskate motorist