Guest Opinion: Courtyards aren't just for the wealthy - or European. Why Seattle developers should hop on the courtyard train to make private, serene urban spaces a possibility for all.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Is Boeing a terrorist organization?
- One-track mind: the return of the monorail
- Nebraska (the movie not the state)
- Boeing v. Machinists: Time for an Inslee-vention
- Bike bullies: Turn off those blinking lights!
- Methow Valley: A commitment to no bad days
- 10 big challenges await Mayor Murray
- The Daily Troll: Sarkisian leaves UWhatsitsname for USC. Good omen for Sawant's future. Amazon drones on.
- Lessons from Oakland's waterfront district
- Biweekly Seattle trash pick ups: A stinker?
Many thanks to Mary Jane & Mark Anderson and Mary Groebner some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- One-track mind: the return of the monorail (68)
- Is Boeing a terrorist organization? (37)
- 10 big challenges await Mayor Murray (57)
- Proposal for height rezoning near Mount Baker station raises controversy (29)
- Bike bullies: Turn off those blinking lights! (71)
- Thanksgiving: Is there still a place at the table for the Middle Class? (23)
- Boeing v. Machinists: Time for an Inslee-vention (24)
- Biweekly Seattle trash pick ups: A stinker? (20)
- Why downtown would be safer as a surveillance state (34)
- Lessons from Oakland's waterfront district (10)
Real Estate / Land Use
Look out, preservationists. The developers are here to transform the city for density, and they have their attorneys ready to make you just get out of their way.READ MORE 14 COMMENTS
Water features, wooden storefronts, drinking buddies are among the urban "bookmarks" that represent modern expressions of traditional city life.READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
Billions of dollars in new public projects will be coming online in the next four years. The mayor will have to orchestrate it all.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Landlords object to efforts of Democratic state legislators to protect the privacy of tenants and job-seekers.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Commentary: The city has a history of having to retreat from density initiatives because developers make everyone angry with their exploitation of loopholes in rules. Herewith, a preventive prescription to encourage density and quality.READ MORE 37 COMMENTS
Seattle government gets so-so grade on transparency. A key legislator wanted to learn more about state ferry costs from an audit.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Development can be a friend to preservation, as a Tom Douglas restaurant has shown. But a lot is at risk.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Envelope, please: Politicians played heavy hands in the destruction of history across the Northwest, particularly in Seattle and Washington state, during 2012.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Green Acre Radio: A unique urban farm is taking off with youthful converts to healthy foods, led by seasoned educators.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Call it the Tom Douglas Effect: Moves by smart investors are leading to more businesses jumping in.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Dollars for southend schools. A better 3rd Avenue? Heart, Quincy Jones win rock honor.
What, we can actually win Race to the Top money for local schools? McGinn, Constantine team up on 3rd Avenue safety. The Rock Hall of Fame recognizes Seattle greats.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Urban soul is like porn, you know when you see it. It's hard to define, hard to create, impossible to codify. Yet it exists.READ MORE 19 COMMENTS
Seattle merges into the super-flexible car-share lane: why one-way is the way to go.READ MORE 25 COMMENTS
- The Daily Troll: State budget waiting for last-minute rush. Arsonist charged with fraud plot targeting witnesses in his case. 'Redskins' nickname voted out.
- Winslow (Un)Paves the Way
- The Chinese investors are coming
- Alley Movie Nights: Can you say urbanism without effort?
- Is Bellevue the new Vancouver?
- Long live the urban courtyard!
- Seattle's Hotel de Gink
- Private garages, mobile apps and the quest to save waterfront parking
- The Daily Troll: Horace Mann emptied. "Greed" good for Mastros. 10 cops for $600K.
- Death of another corporate icon
- The Daily Troll: Violate our government shutdown? Take this ticket. Different ways to tackle guns. Street lounges on 3rd Ave.
- A new loo for Seattle?
- Cubes of Air: The coming of Seattle's condos
- Seattle's P-Patch godfather ditched the gold rush for gardening
- Yuppie-free & horsedrawn: The original Seattle farmers market
- Move over McGinn: Seattle's original bike mayor
- Seattle drivers: Atrocious from the start
- Auto Reverie: The daze of Seattle's first cars