Sen. Jan Angel, who blocked a bill to help the homeless, is now asking the governor to set up a task force to look for solutions.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Daily Troll: Gay principal files suit. Issaquah's embarrassing student racism. Washington Dem turns GOP.
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash?
- Why Mars Hill was the perfect incubator for questionable naturopathy
- The Seattle photographer upending online education
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet
- Mark Penn's questionable road to Microsoft's Chief of Strategy
- Why KUOW cut programming to build listenership
- The Legislature's e-cigarette tax showdown
- Both sides agree: Seattle rideshare rules 'a mess'
Many thanks to Michael Baker and Hal Opperman some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality (45)
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet (19)
- Lawmakers move toward setting education fixes in stone (31)
- Seattle Public Schools' maddening 'Blank Stare of Bureaucracy' (28)
- Why KUOW cut programming to build listenership (46)
- Seattle's Police Chief search: Smooth sailing ahead (17)
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash? (15)
- Why Mars Hill was the perfect incubator for questionable naturopathy (30)
- We can all get along: Bikers and drivers learn to share the road (19)
- Meet the Writers: Mapping Seattle's New Political Landscape (1)
How King County built an integrated - and pretty effective - system for helping homeless young folks. From scratch.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Poetry: Sometimes you just want to hide from the noise of a fight.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The annual "Count Us In" total barely budged from last year.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Transportation progress? Hastings seeks energetic replacement. Help for the homeless.
Plus, Mayor Murray mad as hell about Comcast deal and State Senate unanimously approves bill to track homeless kids in public school.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A study from the state auditor shows some families adopting kids from foster care need more help, despite generally good services.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
157 homeless kids are enrolled in the Bellevue School District. Homeless Education Liaison Betty Takahashi helps find, feed, house and keep them in school.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
Once again, Washington lawmakers will take up legislation to seal certain juvenile records. Will the third time be the charm?READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Supporters of Rep. Roger Goodman's attempt to mandate legal representation for parent-less minors spoke out in Olympia last week.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Rebekah Demirel survived the mean streets of Canada's big metropolis. It wasn't easy. This is her story.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
As King County gears up for its 2014 "Count Us In" day, Crosscut launches Phase 2 of Kids@Risk coverage: homeless youth.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
The War on Poverty was about improving job skills, education and health, not eradicating poverty, per se. Those debating its success or failure would do well to remember that.READ MORE 15 COMMENTS
There's a plus: More say in the decisions.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The big takeaways from Crosscut's six-month-long series on Washington's foster care system.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
For kids in foster care, turning 18 isn't a source for celebration. It's a reason to panic.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Nicholas Kristof: Moving from safety nets to real opportunity for kids
The story of a 3-year-old boy in West Virginia shows how we fail to deal with poverty.
How a campaign is saving money by providing people a home
Getting the chronically homeless off the streets can transform their health and prospects within days.
Northwest parents fostering global refuge
It takes a special kind of foster parent to take in teenagers from conflict zones halfway around the world.
- When we paid caseworkers in cookies: A brief history of serving homeless youth
- A bill to seal juvenile records gains momentum in Olympia
- Serving homeless youth with a continuum of customized care
- Foster youth finds solace 'behind closed doors'
- The Daily Troll: MSFT's cup runneth over. Olympia in overdrive. Seattle FBI shakeup.
- 2014 survey counts 777 homeless or unstably housed kids in King County