Mark Emmert moves into new territory by cracking down on Penn State at almost the same time as his former university recruited a 14-year-old quarterback.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Daily Troll: Gay principal files suit. Issaquah's embarrassing student racism. Washington Dem turns GOP.
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash?
- The Seattle photographer upending online education
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet
- Why Mars Hill was the perfect incubator for questionable naturopathy
- Mark Penn's questionable road to Microsoft's Chief of Strategy
- Homeless bill furor has Republican senator looking to Inslee for help
- Why KUOW cut programming to build listenership
- Meet the Writers: Mapping Seattle's New Political Landscape
Many thanks to Penny Thomas and Robert von Tobel some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality (50)
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet (19)
- Lawmakers move toward setting education fixes in stone (31)
- Seattle Public Schools' maddening 'Blank Stare of Bureaucracy' (29)
- Seattle's Police Chief search: Smooth sailing ahead (17)
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash? (15)
- Why KUOW cut programming to build listenership (46)
- Real state support for schools: A roadmap (6)
- We can all get along: Bikers and drivers learn to share the road (19)
- Meet the Writers: Mapping Seattle's New Political Landscape (1)
Every Olympics event will be live on virtually every electronic gadget you may have. What's not to love?READ MORE 11 COMMENTS
The SoDo Arena, adding still more entertainment competition to the region, is the latest example of our harmful penchant for merrily adding too many things.READ MORE 17 COMMENTS
Update: With questions about his future in the air, Mariners right fielder Ichiro Suzuki has been traded.READ MORE 11 COMMENTS
From Seattle to Philadelphia, pro sports franchises are looking at a different kind of scoring.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
This deal is quite different from the one-sided giveaways of the past, and the worries about traffic congestion are over-blown.READ MORE 87 COMMENTS
Crosscut's guide to a culturally enriching weekend in the city. Or at least a dash of France in Seattle.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
We've come a long way on women's rights, but there is still work to be done.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
There's a widespread view, typified by a recent Knute Berger article, that the Port of Seattle has lost touch with its job-creation responsibilities. Port Commissioner John Creighton gives a different view.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
A new baseball book, "Calico Joe," is getting lots of attention, maybe more than it deserves. And does the size of the ball really make for the best sports books?READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
While Oklahoma City cheered its team, thousands gathered in Pioneer Square to support an effort to bring NBA basketball back to Seattle.READ MORE 23 COMMENTS
Growing up in Oklahoma, and having a granddaddy from a legendary backwater high school team really helps.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
Edgar Martinez threw out the first pitch before the first combined no-hitter in club history. But that may not have been the biggest event of the day for the Martinez family.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Sen. Cantwell, aggravated by the West Coast's sickeningly high gas prices, is siccing the FTC on Big Oil. Will they take the bait? Meanwhile, KIRO messes up its janitor bullying video big time and Seattle embraces newly redeemed football player Brian Banks.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Seahawks Legion of Boom inspires young players at the NFL Combine
When asked which current NFL players inspire them, many up-and-coming defensive backs named Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor among their favorites.
Sochi: What becomes of Olympic host cities?
Now that the glory of hosting the Olympics is over for Sochi, what's in store for the future of the Russian beach town? The Olympic City Project takes a look at host cities of the past, and examines how future host cities can prevent themselves from becoming forever Olympic cities.
'Nancy and Tonya': TV relives bizarre pre-Olympic attack
Nancy Kerrigan shows wry humor. Portland's Tonya Harding, now living in Sisters, says she knew nothing before the attack on her ice skating rival.
First-ever ice dance Olympic gold for U.S.
Meryl Davis and Charlie White made history in becoming the first Americans to take home Olympic gold in their discipline.
NBA: No plans for Seattle expansion
New NBA Commissioner Adam Silver: "Seattle is a wonderful market. It would be very additive to the league to have a team there. But we're not planning on expanding right now."
Shaun White's Olympic disappointment
Amid slope conditions that had competitors furious, the star of the games came up short in his quest for a third straight gold.
NFL: The league isn't ready for an openly gay player
12 anonymous NFL GMs, scouts and coaches believe that Michael Sam's coming-out will greatly hurt his draft chances.
Volunteer registration opens for US Open at Chambers Bay
Washingtonians can now apply to fill the 4,500 volunteer positions needed at the US Open in 2015.
Sen. Cantwell calls for Redskins name change
Sen. Cantwell believes the NFL team's name is an "insult to Native Americans" and a "racial slur," and is urging the league to press for a name change. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder won't budge.
How Sage Kotsenburg won America's first Sochi gold
A visual guide to Kotsenburg's winning run in a new Olympic snowboarding event, Slopestyle.
- Are bulkheads bad for Puget Sound?
- Sheepdog showdown on Vashon
- Vacation reading: The pleasures of misery
- $15 or Less: Meteors, music, movies and more
- $15 or Less: "Visible Man," Sculpture Park yoga, Mural concerts, hip-hopera with R. Kelly
- $15 or Less: Genius party, literary mixer, outdoor beer & movies
- Digital Prospector: A time lapse of birds
- Digital Prospector: The life and death of X Games snowmobile champ Caleb Moore
- Digital Prospector: Bad Lip Reader splices wacky words into NFL mouths
- Digital Prospector: 26 seconds of Richard Sherman's id
- Digital Prospector: Kids@Risk edition
- Digital Prospector: British fright flick. Paul Thomas Anderson does Fiona Apple. NYC Ballet on the roof.
- The Smartypants Guide to the March Civic Cocktail: 12th Man spirit, plus the food scene
- The Daily Troll: Top Republican under ethics microscope. Seattle's icicle problem. Protesting at Pike Place.
- How a cup of nettle tea changed my life
- Foodie Gift Ideas: 7 books to make your mouth water
- Thierry, Stratton AND Wilson? Downtown Seattle's holiday restaurant heist
- Can Rainier Beach cook its way to community?