Danny Westneat urges calm about the plastic bag ban. What would a modern officer like to drive as Crown Vics disappear? Tacoma gets a new city manager.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:READ MORE »
- Russell Wilson's sophomore slump? Rest of NFL should be so lucky
- In defense of David Guterson
- Why does Seattle fear urban planning?
- Tale of Two Cities: Coal, a train wreck for Burlington?
- Bookstore owner & author Peter Miller: It is not a time of great books
- Legislature: What's the problem just finishing its work?
- The Daily Troll: Is WA still in Boeing's future? Lights out for Egyptian Theatre. Rebuilding obsolescence on I-5.
- Where's the science at KUOW? Why public radio wants to mix things up.
- Highway robbery: WA's economic advantage going the way of old roads
- A council misguided: The futility of property tax-financed city elections
Many thanks to
some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Why does Seattle fear urban planning? (59)
- A council misguided: The futility of property tax-financed city elections (24)
- Tale of Two Cities: Coal, a train wreck for Burlington? (15)
- City Council changes the rules on employee background checks (13)
- Improvements to Washington schools won't help hungry kids (13)
- Where's the science at KUOW? Why public radio wants to mix things up. (12)
- News Shmews: A journalist confronts reader apathy (14)
- In defense of David Guterson (11)
- Federal decision hands coal ports a big victory (5)
- Will pay-as-you-drive insurance get a chance in Washington? (20)
Stories for Dec. 21, 2011
With the tax year ending, please consider a tax-deductible donation to the cause of quality local journalism. We have a daily prize, to nudge you into helping this fine civic cause.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
There was one time, exactly 50 years ago, when a tree from Washington state was selected for the annual display in D.C. That time, things went wrong on both coasts.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
A new study finds that blacks and Latinos face much greater likelihood of winding up in prison compared to whites arrested for the same crime. At each step through the criminal justice system, race may subconsciously play into the decisions, adding up to gross unfairness.READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
Seattle historian Lorraine McConaghy has written a new book that is not only a treasure trove of state history, but a tribute to the gold that can be mined in our archives.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
Crosscut reached out to literary junkies at Elliott Bay Book Co., Richard Hugo House, and Powell's Books to compile a list of the best local books of 2011 for all the readers on your holiday shopping list.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS