With the assist of a friendly Conservative government in Canada, Big Energy wins a skirmish. How will it affect the larger battle over coal and oil exports?READ MORE 32 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Inside Mars Hill's massive meltdown
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound?
- As Capitol Hill deweirds, LGBTQ hate crime takes off
- In South Seattle, a DIY small business crime deterrent
- The man who remade the Mariners
- 'The Mikado's' yellowface through the eyes of my Asian daughter
- Amgen: A lesson in state's tax break policy
- The Daily Troll: Getting closer to working on Bertha. Dissident police raise new complaints. 'Tony Soprano' return?
- Memo to Steve Ballmer: Lakeside School is not the Clippers
Many thanks to Charles Macaulay and Susan Sullivan some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront development: Will new rules harm fish, Puget Sound? (32)
- 'Stand-up economist': How to be optimistic about climate (16)
- Nuclear energy is here to stay (13)
- Amgen: A lesson in state's tax break policy (17)
- Weyerhaeuser move: A modern landmark's future in question (15)
- Tight budgets force cuts to King County Public Health (12)
- Bertha: Wasting money while the Viaduct risks grow? (48)
- In South Seattle, a DIY small business crime deterrent (10)
- Memo to Steve Ballmer: Lakeside School is not the Clippers (19)
- A promising moment for Seattle pedestrians (8)
For a longhaired 17-year-old or a mature Mossback, the experience of a road trip is healthy, educational and jet lag-free.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Fifty years ago, the second largest earthquake ever recorded brought down easy assumptions.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Washington State Department of Transportation will close the viaduct on March 22, to take a closer look at damage near Seneca and Spring streets.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
The Atlantic Street Overpass will open on Monday, and workers are pouring concrete for approach roadways and making progress on the tunnel's south control center.READ MORE 3 COMMENTS
Sightings in the Seattle area and Colorado have raised hopes for a species that helps agriculture but seemed to have disappeared.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
After a rancorous process that pitted cabbies against app-based ridesharing services a council committee reveals a plan that would allow the tech companies to continue operating in Seattle.READ MORE 15 COMMENTS
Finally, a few voices are being raised in support of Social Security, Medicare and hardworking Americans. And Sen. Patty Murray has a big role on the budget.READ MORE 23 COMMENTS
Gov. Jay Inslee signed a pact with other governors and the head of the B.C. government. But where does that leave his own climate task force?READ MORE 12 COMMENTS
The Daily Troll: Violate our government shutdown? Take this ticket. Different ways to tackle guns. Street lounges on 3rd Ave.
Density: Lot size matters.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Today's fishery in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest grew out of the Alaska Purchase and the prodding of the state legislature by a feisty fisherman.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
The Tacoma Art Museum wants to be the "heart of the city." Its new wing is driving an enlightened downtown redevelopment.READ MORE 5 COMMENTS
The transformation of three Puget Sound cities heralds a bold new era in urban living.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The change from the "horseback world" of the author's childhood to the industrial West of today was swift and the environmental consequences devastating. “We have to change," says Kittredge. "We just have to.”READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Tim Egan: New American West is urban, high-tech and eco-friendly
It's exactly the opposite of the vision of the Koch brothers, who run a Montana ranch but fail to boss around the politicians of the region.
- California: Always shining a bit brighter than Seattle
- Ballmer buys LA team: A seismic dropping of NW jaws
- How Alaska's quake changed the Northwest's outlook on disaster
- Inslee leaps into West Coast climate agreement
- The Daily Troll: Violate our government shutdown? Take this ticket. Different ways to tackle guns. Street lounges on 3rd Ave.
- Restoring NW wildlife: Come home, condor?