The Seattle Art Museum's newest exhibit contrasts dewy landscapes with darker visions of environmental history. Curator Patricia Junker explains her fascination with the monumental painting that prompted it all.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- Prop 1: What King County Metro hopes you won't notice
- Metro Transit cuts ahead as vote goes heavily against tax measure
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it?
- The Daily Troll: Prepare to be surprised on 520 bridge. Bell Street: Call that a 'park'? Frye Museum as launching pad.
- High stakes: Bertha contractor, state at odds over labor dispute costs
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo
- The Daily Troll: Ross Hunter rejects Senate run. Bellevue fires a cop. Dan Lewis leaving KOMO.
- Bell Street Park: A noble bust
- As Prop. 1 falters, Metro fans ask, 'Now what?'
- Earth Day: Real environmentalists are conservative. And live where it's green
Many thanks to Audra Adelberger and John Zilavy some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Earth Day: Real environmentalists are conservative. And live where it's green (49)
- Metro Transit cuts ahead as vote goes heavily against tax measure (44)
- Seattle parks plan: Why does City Council want to control it? (31)
- New survey offers tips for implementing Seattle's new city council districts (12)
- As Prop. 1 falters, Metro fans ask, 'Now what?' (17)
- Bertha's long hibernation: Still hope for an on-time finish? (20)
- What 1 lucky Seattle immigrant's case can teach politicians (12)
- Prop 1: What King County Metro hopes you won't notice (51)
- Can Seattle save itself from a San Francisco-sized tech backlash? (11)
- Seattle neighborhoods in limbo (28)
The whole idea of criticizing people living on the federal dole is pretty funny in a region that has a history of living off federal support.READ MORE 8 COMMENTS
New research pushes back human society in Washington and elsewhere farther in the past than thought. And it seems to wipe away the idea that the Clovis people were the first in North America.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Fear is unjustified today, but it's a part of Pacific Northwest history. Did you know Brigham Young once considered Vancouver Island for the Mormon homeland?READ MORE 11 COMMENTS
A bill to allow guns on campuses died in the Idaho Senate but a number of other states are looking at joining the frenzy. It's all about bullying higher education's learning communities and catering to the NRA's desires.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Many archaeological finds are reburied in mounds of dull reports. One way to help: Hire storytellers to help daylight what comes from digs.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
William O. Douglas thought it was silly to have big mountains named for people who'd never set foot here. Something to ponder when looking at "Rainier."READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Aloha wear can be symbolic of good times for visitors from Washington and elsewhere, but it remains a part of life on the islands.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Forget the stereotypes and listen to what's really being broadcast on the West Coast public airwaves.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Despite their history with tsunamis, or maybe because of it, coastal residents including one mayor were complacent about evacuating.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Some writers have addressed history. But as they well know, in the Northwest, nuclear issues are never really just about history.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Fukushima and Three Mile Island argue the limits of human planning. Some people think we could engineer a 10,000-year solution at Yucca Mountain, even though there is not a single human building older than about 6,500 years. Even though we know about chaos.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Vancouver City Council will hear public concerns about putting Western Canada's largest casino into the iconic B.C. Place Stadium.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
One study by an Oregon-based consultant challenges the assumption that fast-growing cities attract more jobs and greater wealth.READ MORE 4 COMMENTS
- How Alaska's quake changed the Northwest's outlook on disaster
- Inslee leaps into West Coast climate agreement
- The Daily Troll: Violate our government shutdown? Take this ticket. Different ways to tackle guns. Street lounges on 3rd Ave.
- Restoring NW wildlife: Come home, condor?
- The Chinese investors are coming
- The Daily Troll: Dems' 1st big mayor endorsement? An unexpected biker gang. Tim Eyman's pay.