Guest Opinion: Does the public want to protect salmon-producing rivers? The answer will be a big factor for policy-makers.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Bertha mess: Did Seattle bring it on itself?
- Seven things to know about the Christmas story
- The Elephant in the Room: Is Bertha toast?
- WSDOT may have to re-bury Bertha
- Most Read 2014 #7: Seattle as liberal bastion? Think again.
- Most Read of 2014 No. 9: What is it like to work at Amazon?
- The Daily Troll: Another new stadium for Seattle? Restaurant ratings to get upgrade. Pioneer Square digging gets noisy.
- Inslee proposes new taxes to meet state needs
- What's the mayor thinking? Ed Murray's reading list
- The Daily Troll: Deputies show solidarity with NYC. Orcas: Up close. I-594 halts a gun sale.
Many thanks to Russell McDuff and Karl Doemland some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- The Bertha mess: Did Seattle bring it on itself? (66)
- WSDOT may have to re-bury Bertha (65)
- Inslee wants to limit carbon emissions, help with budget challenges (8)
- Viaduct, City Council share that sinking feeling (103)
- The Elephant in the Room: Is Bertha toast? (12)
- How income inequality is keeping state coffers low (34)
- Most Read 2014 No. 10: The unspoken realities behind a King County Metro tax proposition (9)
- Inslee proposes new taxes to meet state needs (10)
- What's the mayor thinking? Ed Murray's reading list (3)
- Most Read of 2014 No. 9: What is it like to work at Amazon? (7)
Fifty years ago, the second largest earthquake ever recorded brought down easy assumptions.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Mossback columnist Knute Berger on why YOU should become a Crosscut Member - today.READ MORE
A Norwegian-born mariner turned inventor and carbon crusader debuts a technology that may drastically reduce fuel costs and emissions at sea.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Rick Wood has made a living fishing in Alaska for almost 40 years. Despite the hazards and the hardships, he can't imagine doing anything else.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Today's fishery in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest grew out of the Alaska Purchase and the prodding of the state legislature by a feisty fisherman.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Highly regulated, and profitable, commercial fishing is a survivor of the resource-based economy that once dominated the Pacific Northwest.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Crosscut delves into the vital, sprawling, oft-forgotten heart of Seattle's economy and character: commercial fishing.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Gold in them thar initiatives. Pebble Mine: Bad news for salmon.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Envelope, please: Politicians played heavy hands in the destruction of history across the Northwest, particularly in Seattle and Washington state, during 2012.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
An Alaskan insider argues that the sagas of Chris McCandless ("Into the Wild") and Sarah Palin (left-leaning Republican) need a lot of revising.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
According to an EPA report, the proposal to mine for gold and copper near Alaska's Bristol Bay will be bad news for salmon populations -- and Seattle's fishing economy.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Boeing eyes ways to expand production in Everett. Meanwhile, Alaska and its oil companies are looking more and more like some bizarre Downton Abbey metaphor and Washington's public schools are faced with shrinking budgets.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Winners and losers: Commies with errant missles, hookers getting close to the White House, fears of a nuclear test. And all of it while Seattle celebrates a 50-year-old event. Is this the Mad Men, Part Deux?READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Perhaps looking out for themselves and their own future, the Mariners send a strongly worded letter to city and county leaders telling them to go somewhere else with the new arena.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
The latest from news outlets and blogs around the Northwest and beyond, chosen by Crosscut editors.
Independent candidate appears to be Alaska's next governor
If the vote count holds up, Bill Walker will be the first independent to hold the office since statehood.
- California: Always shining a bit brighter than Seattle
- Ballmer buys LA team: A seismic dropping of NW jaws
- How Alaska's quake changed the Northwest's outlook on disaster
- Inslee leaps into West Coast climate agreement
- The Daily Troll: Violate our government shutdown? Take this ticket. Different ways to tackle guns. Street lounges on 3rd Ave.
- Restoring NW wildlife: Come home, condor?