A Norwegian-born mariner turned inventor and carbon crusader debuts a technology that may drastically reduce fuel costs and emissions at sea.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Our Sponsors:Read more »
- The Daily Troll: Gay principal files suit. Issaquah's embarrassing student racism. Washington Dem turns GOP.
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash?
- Why Stadium Place is the best new development in Seattle
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet
- Why Google Fiber will never come to Seattle
- King County transit measure: Nobody’s favorite, but a favorite to win
- Mark Penn's questionable road to Microsoft's Chief of Strategy
- Homeless bill furor has Republican senator looking to Inslee for help
- Legislature, Inslee clash, but to what purpose?
Many thanks to John Ashford and Shelley Rolfe some of our many supporters.ALL MEMBERS »
- Waterfront park design needs a dose of reality (67)
- A $15 minimum wage won't be anyone's silver bullet (22)
- King County transit measure: Nobody’s favorite, but a favorite to win (33)
- Seattle Public Schools' maddening 'Blank Stare of Bureaucracy' (31)
- Seattle's waterfront: Visions of hottubs & gardens, but where's the cash? (15)
- Immigration activist Pramila Jayapal to run for state Senate (10)
- Real state support for schools: A roadmap (8)
- Legislature, Inslee clash, but to what purpose? (9)
- Why Google Fiber will never come to Seattle (47)
- Seattle's Police Chief search: Smooth sailing ahead (17)
Rick Wood has made a living fishing in Alaska for almost 40 years. Despite the hazards and the hardships, he can't imagine doing anything else.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Today's fishery in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest grew out of the Alaska Purchase and the prodding of the state legislature by a feisty fisherman.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Highly regulated, and profitable, commercial fishing is a survivor of the resource-based economy that once dominated the Pacific Northwest.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
Crosscut delves into the vital, sprawling, oft-forgotten heart of Seattle's economy and character: commercial fishing.READ MORE 9 COMMENTS
Gold in them thar initiatives. Pebble Mine: Bad news for salmon.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
Envelope, please: Politicians played heavy hands in the destruction of history across the Northwest, particularly in Seattle and Washington state, during 2012.READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
An Alaskan insider argues that the sagas of Chris McCandless ("Into the Wild") and Sarah Palin (left-leaning Republican) need a lot of revising.READ MORE 2 COMMENTS
According to an EPA report, the proposal to mine for gold and copper near Alaska's Bristol Bay will be bad news for salmon populations -- and Seattle's fishing economy.READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Boeing eyes ways to expand production in Everett. Meanwhile, Alaska and its oil companies are looking more and more like some bizarre Downton Abbey metaphor and Washington's public schools are faced with shrinking budgets.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Winners and losers: Commies with errant missles, hookers getting close to the White House, fears of a nuclear test. And all of it while Seattle celebrates a 50-year-old event. Is this the Mad Men, Part Deux?READ MORE 1 COMMENTS
Perhaps looking out for themselves and their own future, the Mariners send a strongly worded letter to city and county leaders telling them to go somewhere else with the new arena.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
Activists cheered the prospect of Washington's first majority-minority congressional district. Then they noticed what redistricting would do to South Seattle's legislative delegation.READ MORE 6 COMMENTS
The eccentric West through the eyes of Seattle's British expat author is a landscape of strange customs, forlorn towns, and back roads. His mantra: "To be alone is to be safe."READ MORE 7 COMMENTS
A daughter's powerful letter about the still-unsolved assassination of her father, federal prosecutor Thomas Wales; senatorial politics; raw political maneuvering in Snohomish County; Gregoire vs. liquor privatization.READ MORE COMMENT NOW
- Inslee leaps into West Coast climate agreement
- The Daily Troll: Violate our government shutdown? Take this ticket. Different ways to tackle guns. Street lounges on 3rd Ave.
- Restoring NW wildlife: Come home, condor?
- The Chinese investors are coming
- The Daily Troll: Dems' 1st big mayor endorsement? An unexpected biker gang. Tim Eyman's pay.
- Hidden dangers at Pacific Coast oil refineries