I bought this top a couple of years ago when kimono-inspired tops were all the rage. I liked the idea of that particular trend because kimono tops are fairly classic and wouldn't look too dated, too soon. Because of my waistline (or lack thereof), I tend to avoid things that tie at the waist. I found this particular version with a more flattering empire waist at TJ Maxx in Factoria. The colors were shocking (especially for a Seattleite), but I liked the pattern and design.
I had never worn this top with shorts before, and in retrospect, I'm not sure I love it with the shorts for my figure. I was lucky enough to have been pregnant and huge — twice. I'm done with that nonsense and sure don't want to look pregnant anymore. Because of the cut of the top, the fullness around the waist area is balanced out better with long pants and heels.
- Shockingly bright kimono-inspired top (two years old, TJ Maxx, $10 sale)
- Provides "ample" coverage, cotton camisole (one year old, Costco, $6)
- "Hide the thighs" black Bermuda shorts (one year old, Target, $15)
- Large-as-I-can-stand-it gold hoops (one year old, Target, $30)
- Steve Madden "barely there" thong sandal (one year old, Endless.com, $18 sale)