OK, so my personal version of a rock 'n' roll outfit is lame, I know. I woke up feeling like raging against the machine (which for me is summer mommy life — it takes a few days to adjust to kids 24/7). Of course the best I could muster with this outfit is being a "tad bit uncomplimentary" against the machine. Nonetheless, I felt like throwing on jeans, a black tee, and some silver jewelry. It was warm that day, so I chose my "ass kicker" flip flops. I know there is no such thing as "ass kicker" flip flops, but for a wimpy rock 'n' roll mommy who is being a "tad bit uncomplimentary" against the machine, these work.
I found these particular flip flops on the clearance rack at Payless seven years ago. They were marked down to $3. The only problem was that they had medium-sized plastic/jeweled butterflies on each sandal — gack. I took them home and took a hammer to them. Wait a second, it's no Gibson Flying V, but maybe taking a hammer to shoes is my version of rock 'n' roll rage: Bam! "I'll show you ..." Bam! "... what I think ..." Bam! "... about plastic butterflies on adult shoes!" Bam!
- Boring (I mean basic), black v-neck T-shirt (two months old, J.Crew outlet, $10)
- Antique wash Levis 515 jeans (two months old, Kohl's, $29.99 sale)
- Thin, silver hoops (two months old, swap meet in Phoenix, $7)
- Silver fox necklace by Pyrrha (two years old, Blue Ruby in B.C., $110)
- "Take the hammer to 'em" silver flip flops (seven years old, Payless, $3)