Director of Programming and On-Air Marketing
Lead the broadcast programming vision and team for KCTS9. Participate with the Strategic Management Team in supporting and informing Cascade Public Media strategy. Research, plan, review, acquire and schedule television programming across multiple channels and platforms; manage the workflow and implementation of all elements for broadcast to reach more people, build a great organization, and increase our impact in the community.
Qualified applicants please apply here.
Cascade Public Media strives to promote diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our content and across all of our brands. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and operational leadership for the KCTS 9 programming department, maintaining and improving, where possible, market strength and mission.
- Determines and maintains creative vision for station(s) to enhance station image and visibility within the community.
- Identify, recommend and schedule full-length, short-form, and interstitial television programming that drives increased audience and engagement in service of our mission – KCTS 9, KCTS 9 Yakima, and all sub-channels.
- Actively engage with editorial staff to source content, and methodically plan and schedule local interstitial television breaks.
- Review, evaluate, and acquire (as necessary) programming consistent with PBS and Cascade Public Media standards.
- With the Data & Analytics team, evaluate the performance of television programming and audience migration patterns to maximize audience and program performance and report on the results.
- Organize and present to internal team members programming schedules and updates to ensure all team members are clear on the objectives and have maximum opportunities to build audience and revenue around such selections.
- With Membership, determine monthly pledge footprint to meet membership and revenue expectations.
- Ensure that all technical, ethical, or conflicts of interest are identified and resolved immediately. Rectify and communicate said plans to all stakeholders.
- Supervise coordinator in management of all broadcast program records within ProTrack including: title, subtitle, coding, package type, version, screen format, length, season, rating, descriptions, media, flags, rights, close captioning, feed or delivery, air dates, and audience measurement.
- Review, negotiate, and secure all relevant licenses; monitor program rights and common carriage rights requirements.
- Create and file required FCC and/or PBS or other reports.
- Back-up the duties of the Programming Coordinator(s) as needed.
- Actively engage with editorial staff to source and schedule local interstitial television breaks; coordinating among all stakeholders the highest and best use of airtime to meet the needs of the organization’s strategy – including Corporate Sponsorship, Philanthropy, Community Engagement, Promotion, and Content.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to ensure a highly efficient and streamlined process for executing the workflow associated with airing all broadcast-related elements.
- Build performance reports and affidavits for various stakeholders as required.
- Create, implement, and maintain effective processes for programming, interstitial elements, underwriting sales flights, trade spots, and other broadcast content. Continuously refine processes.
- Screen and resolve discrepancy reports as necessary.
- Back-up the duties of the Traffic Specialist(s) as needed.
III. Manage & Lead
- Lead and manage Traffic Specialist(s) and Programming Coordinator(s) or other roles as assigned.
- Prepare and track departmental budget(s), including program acquisition expenditures.
- Build highly productive and collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders including Master Control to resolve problems quickly and efficiently.
- Manage the collaboration of programming and traffic with Master Control to resolve issues quickly and efficiently.
- Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcast, Journalism, Communications, or other related field, or equivalent job experience
- Seven+ years management experience required
- Experience with television programming acquisition and scheduling required
- Experience with TV broadcast operations and traffic management procedures required (experience with ProTrack highly desired)
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) required
- Conceptual understanding of audience measurement systems preferred
- Prior experience with Public Media preferred
- Strong project management & critical thinking skills preferred
- Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Ability to regularly type on a keyboard.
Cascade Public Media is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background.