Cascade Public Media, home of KCTS 9 and Crosscut, are seeking a visionary leader to drive the transformation of public media for the Seattle area by incorporating multiple media formats in an ever-changing and dynamic environment. KCTS 9 has been a trusted source for news, information and entertainment in the Seattle area since it was established in 1954. In 2015, KCTS 9 announced a strategy to redefine itself for the digital age by distributing its content to multiple media platforms in order to serve more people across multiple generations. As a demonstration and advancement of the strategy to expand regional coverage and support the need in our community for substantive local journalism, KCTS 9 merged newsrooms with Crosscut.com, a nonprofit daily news website, and in January 2016 Cascade Public Media (“CPM”) was formed. Crosscut and KCTS 9 public television are making bold moves — and substantial investments — in order to create a bright future for public-interest journalism in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. The organization remains a nonprofit, publicly supported organization committed to inspiring social and civic engagement through multimedia journalism and community engagement.
TOP OUTCOMES FIRST YEAR
- Lead and motivate a unified newsroom across multiple media properties.
- Support the growth goals for reach, engagement and impact.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Translate the comprehensive business strategy and objectives into digital, broadcast, and community engagement editorial products.
- Participate strategically with the senior management team of CPM to support the business.
- Communicate and actualize the editorial vision for CPM digital and broadcast journalism.
- Expand audience reach and engagement. Continually work to assess and improve content to develop a broader footprint and impact in support of CPM’s mission.
- Lead and develop newsroom staff with an emphasis on building an innovative culture, achieving department and organizational goals and objectives, and accountability for exceptional performance.
- Foster communication within and outside the newsroom..
- Ensure all content is in compliance with the Mission and Code of Integrity and all other editorial guidelines and policies with effective quality control and reporting
- Proactively engage with other leaders and managers across the organization to maximize strategic objectives
- Serve as a representative of CPM in the community via public speaking and donor and partner relations.
KEY REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in broadcasting, journalism, communications, new media, or a related field or equivalent experience required.
- Fifteen+ years’ experience leading large news operations in both digital and broadcast settings; experience building, leading and managing teams of 20+ staffers.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of content creation and distribution in a multi-platform environment including television and digital.
- Demonstrated success in planning, budgeting, and staff leadership; cross-collaboration; significant experience developing and communicating strategies for content objectives, organizing and managing multiple priorities, and in developing and managing projects and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to hire, motivate, develop and lead others, resolve conflicts, and ensure the achievement of results through effective performance management.
- Ability to lead change initiatives and continuously improve campaigns, processes and systems with urgency and focus.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to work at a computer using keyboard and mouse for long periods of time.
- Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.