Staff Writer – Political Reporter
Provide informed, insightful coverage of state government as it impacts citizens throughout the state; deliver a steady stream of clear, concise, conversational stories that inform, entertain and result in a more informed electorate.Qualified applicants please apply here.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide comprehensive coverage of both legislative and electoral politics, balancing coverage from within the capitol with the reality in the streets, on the ground.
- Develop a network of contacts at the capitol and in the community that can help identify stories that are not being covered by other media outlets.
- Produce coverage of both Seattle city and national politics when needed.
- Deliver 2-5 reported stories each week that meet journalistic and organizational standards for fairness, thoroughness and quality.
- Collaborate with video producers to weave more multimedia into Crosscut’s articles, and to assist them in turning our stories into TV programming.
- Serve as a Crosscut representative in planning and attending community events and working with partner organizations
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field or equivalent experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to digest complex information and communicate in it in a way that is engaging and understandable to a broad audience.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Ability to collect, quickly digest and analyze government documents and emails to write about official actions in an insightful and fair manner.
- Interest in public policy a must; familiarity with Seattle or other city government a plus.>Highest integrity and commitment to journalistic standards.
- Diligence in pursuing information, interviews and public records requests.
- Pathological attention to detail.
- Familiarity with collecting, analyzing and presenting data.
- Ability to manage complex, longer-term writing projects while maintaining beat coverage.
- Photo and multimedia skills highly desirable.
- Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Ability to type on a keyboard for long periods of time.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
Cascade Public Media is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background.