Coordinate the work of Cascade Public Media’s local Content teams in order to create a consistent and distinctive visual approach and strategy to the rich mix of multimedia journalism for KCTS9 public television and Crosscut. Foster a culture of collaboration and innovation in pursuit of reaching a broad and diverse audience, and creating a bright future for public media in our increasingly digital world.
Qualified applicants please apply here.
Cascade Public Media strives to promote diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our content and across all of our brands. Diversity is more than a commitment—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
SCOPE OF POSITION
The Visual Journalism Editor is a highly organized digital media expert who coordinates the work of our multimedia content teams in the development, production and distribution of local stories for KCTS9 public television and Crosscut. The Editor is responsible for overseeing Photo and Editing staff, along with serving as key influence over Video Producers. The role is aimed at pulling together and harmonizing Cascade Public Media’s innovations and best practices around how we tell stories in video, photos and multimedia for digital uses, while maintaining excellence for our broadcast, digital and emerging audiences.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work to grow and support newsroom behaviors in developing a consistently high-quality stream of multimedia content
- Directly oversee the team of video editors and staff photographers
- Manage weekly visual production meetings and daily editorial check-ins, manage story budget and enforce deadlines
- Manage visual journalism budget. Responsible for production equipment allocation
- Liaise with company’s legal department and outside counsel regarding various visual issues
- Co-drive an ambitious vision for doing more within the visual storytelling space alongside the Content, Digital and Marketing teams to evolve new digital experiences and special projects
- Demonstrate and apply understanding of digital newsgathering, storytelling and audience-engagement innovation
- Work with the section editors to champion the use of innovative storytelling techniques and platforms
- Work with the Executive Editor to create a culture of mutual respect, support and collaboration in the Cascade Public Media newsroom
- Develop an effective and efficient workflow for CPM visual storytelling
- Inspire and mentor our visual teams to advance through timely and constructive input, and professional development opportunities
- Develop a culture where data is used daily to measure performance of our local content, and to inform story angles, experimentation and future planning
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in broadcasting, journalism, communications, new media, business or a related field or equivalent experience required; advanced study or a graduate degree preferred
- At least eight years of experience producing and directing broadcast and journalistic multimedia content in a deadline-oriented environment
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of content production in a multi-platform environment, including broadcast and digital
- Demonstrated success in working collaboratively with peers; significant experience organizing and managing multiple priorities, and in developing and managing projects
- Experience with digital media platforms and programming approaches with new models of content creation
- Experience negotiating agreements and developing/managing financial resources
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building and fostering key internal and external business relationships, as well as the ability to perform effectively in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to continuously improve processes and systems
- Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment
- Deep understanding of journalism ethics and practices, with nonprofit or public media experience preferred
- Experience with AVID, Adobe CC/Premiere Pro, After Effects, Canon C100, C300, Canon 5D dSLR, a plus
- Must have, or be able to obtain, a valid Washington State driver license
- Ability to work a varied schedule, including evening, weekends and some holidays required
- Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time
- Ability to regularly type on a keyboard
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods
Cascade Public Media is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of thought, experience and personal background.