Seattle mayor imposes curfew after George Floyd protests escalate

After peaceful demonstrations turn to chaos, Interstate 5 is shut down and the governor calls in the National Guard.

Protesters stand with raised hands in front of police officers

A demonstrator raises his hands above his head while exclaiming, "Hands up, don't shoot," during protests across downtown Seattle, May 30, 2020. A wave of protests have swept across the U.S. following the death of George Floyd. Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has been charged with murder in Floyd's death. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

The anger that has gripped the nation in the wake of George Floyd’s death at the hands of a Minnesota police officer spilled into downtown Seattle Saturday, as protests swelled and, eventually, turned violent. 

Not since the World Trade Organization demonstrations of 1999 has the city seen such widespread chaos, as marchers took over Interstate 5, broke windows and torched several police cars. Police officers, meanwhile, used a heavy hand in an effort to control the crowds. 

In response, Gov. Jay Inslee called the Washington National Guard into Seattle for the first time in more than 20 years and Mayor Jenny Durkan declared a 5 p.m. curfew with just 15 minutes of advanced notice.

On Sunday, in response to protests in Bellevue, Inslee announced he was calling for at least 200 National Guard troops to be sent to the Eastside city, on top of the 400 already approved for Seattle. The governor said additional troops could be sent to other parts of Washington state and that he had already received a request for help from Spokane County "after what was described as a rogue group began looting and damaging property." 

The protests in Seattle on Saturday were organized by advocates of police reform — including Not This Time, made up of family members whose loved ones were killed by police officers. While Floyd’s death sparked the gatherings in Seattle and elsewhere, it also has come to represent years of frustration with law enforcement and systemic racism more broadly. 

Demonstrators march along Interstate 5 during protests across downtown Seattle, May 30, 2020. Hundreds of protesters marched onto southbound lanes, bringing traffic to a standstill. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

A woman receives first aid from fellow demonstrators after being pepper-sprayed by the Seattle Police Department. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

A man marches while leading a chant along Fourth Avenue. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

In Seattle, as in other American cities, the protests have been a mix of peaceful and violent. Speakers addressed mask-wearing crowds that had ventured into public by the thousands despite ongoing COVID-19 concerns. But the event eventually gave way to clashes with police, who deployed pepper spray and flash grenades in an attempt to disperse the demonstrators. 

Some protesters posted videos of police using force today, as well as at least one incident from Friday evening — of an officer hitting someone who was on the ground — that the Seattle Police Department promised to investigate. 

It’s a precarious time for the police department, which is on the cusp of ending nearly a decade of oversight by the federal government. The protests are likely to rekindle debate over whether the department is ready to leave that monitoring behind.

A Seattle Police Department officer appears to place his knee on a detained person's head while police arrest people fleeing a vandalized downtown T-Mobile store, May 30, 2020. The same officer was later seen placing his knee on the neck of another detained person. (Shaminder Dulai/Crosscut)

Bystanders yell at a police officer to remove his knee from a detained person’s neck while SPD made arrests at a vandalized T-Mobile store downtown, May 30, 2020. A moment later a fellow officer forcibly removed the officer's knee from the man's neck. As night fell, looters began to smash in business windows and cover storefronts in graffiti, prompting many who had participated during the day's peaceful protest to leave the scene, not wanting to be involved. (Shaminder Dulai/Crosscut)

A protester wearing a face mask to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 joins a crowd of demonstrators during protests across downtown Seattle. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Demonstrators stand amid a cloud of tear gas. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

A woman faces off with Seattle Police Department officers. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

At an early evening press conference, Durkan said she called for a 5 p.m. curfew in Seattle on the recommendation of police. Durkan said a number of police vehicles had been set on fire and two law enforcement rifles were stolen out of patrol cars. Police have since recovered the rifles. Durkan made clear, however, that the city was not aware of any civilians or officers who had been seriously injured.  

“I understand the immense rage and grief and sense of betrayal felt by so many in our community and communities across this country,” Durkan said. “However, the escalated incidents of destruction and violence do not honor Mr. Floyd. His own family has spoken out against such violence and has urged everyone to demonstrate peacefully.” 

Inslee said the National Guard personnel would be unarmed, under the direction of city leadership and used only if “absolutely necessary.”

A demonstrator throws a mannequin into a burning vehicle near Westlake Park. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Some demonstrators break way from peaceful protestors to loot an Old Navy store near Westlake Park. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Demonstrators react to a blast ball being deployed by the Seattle Police Department during protests across downtown Seattle. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Demonstrators gather en masse at Westlake Park. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Demonstrators raise their fist in the air and chant, “Say his name, George Floyd,” during protests across downtown. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

When traffic was stopped by demonstrations, some motorists stepped out of their car to share support of those marching during protests across downtown. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Demonstrators walk along Interstate 5 while others cheer them on from a bridge. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Demonstrators shut down Interstate 5 and march along the freeway during protests. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Protesters wave a sign in memory of George Floyd, as demonstrators march in the rain along the off-ramp of Interstate 5. (Matt M. McKnight/Crosscut)

Please support independent local news for all.

We rely on donations from readers like you to sustain Crosscut's in-depth reporting on issues critical to the PNW.


About the Authors & Contributors

David Kroman

David Kroman

David Kroman is formerly a reporter at Crosscut, where he covered city politics.

Lilly Fowler

Lilly Fowler

Lilly Fowler is formerly a reporter at Crosscut, where she focused on race, immigration and other issues. 

Jen Dev

Jen Dev

Jen Dev is formerly a video producer at Crosscut and KCTS 9, where she focused on race and immigration issues.

Matt M. McKnight

Matt M. McKnight

Matt McKnight is formerly a visual journalist at Crosscut, where he covered a variety of political, social and environmental issues around the Pacific Northwest.